Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with writing a Goodwill Deletion letter

tag
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Need help with writing a Goodwill Deletion letter

i am trying to get my car lender to remove a 30 day late pay, and i need to write an excellent goodwill letter.  I dont see any samples that will fit my situation

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Re: Need help with writing a Goodwill Deletion letter

Where I have had success so far is telling "your own story" and not a form letter. I am not saying the samples on here are not useful but you can not simply copy and paste them. Use the examples here to get you started but change them around for your unique situation.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

The best advice I can give for GW letters is to take an example off of here for the general format, but then revise it to make it personal to your situation. Any good GW letter will not be a standard form letter, but instead tell the creditor the story of why you should receive a GW.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 5
mrfulloluv
Valued Member

I can definitely echo the sentiments and share my personal experience while I am at it. I have written numerous GW deletion letters and have had a recent hot streak with about 5 deletions in about a 45 day window. I developed my own personal template of my "circumstances" which were surrounding my life at the time. The reader of the GW letter will then note that you took the time to craft your own specfic letter.

Rules of Thumb to a GW:

1. Keep it brief - we all have a great explaination for why we are writing the letter. Keep in mind the reader has a hectic schedule and other things to attend to.
  2. Make it Personal- Take the time to carefully craft a letter specific to your situation.
  3. Expect A few rejections- In the game of the GW letter, many will hit you by the "book" on the first attempt.
  4. Be Persistent & Change Contacts (If necessary)- If you aren't receiving the ideal correspondence when you send an initial GW letter. Don't panic!!!! Many on this forum will tell you that this process takes time. Depending on the amount of the debt, How old the debt is, whether the OC or a CA owns the debt, etc.
  5. Be Patient- Sometimes the changes, even when a deletion is agreed to, very few companies do the "instant delete" you will sometimes have to wait a week or sometimes a month or more to see the results of your hard work!

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My advice is to approach it from the point of view that they are not a social service organization, they are a capitalist corporation.  Appeal to their benefit as much as your own.

It is, of course, necessary to provide some reasons for your prior payment problems, but my suggestion is that any prior problem you raise as a reason should be accompanied by a discussion of how that prior woe has now been overcome.  Long listings of "my dawg just died, my roof is a'leakin, my wife just left me, I lost my job" etc just kinda paint a picture of being a continued credit risk unless you show how those prior hardships no longer apply.

My last suggestion is to try to make them want to retain your future business.  Appeal to their greed.  Praise them for their prior service, promises to go to them first for any future credit needs, etc. .  But that, of course, is dependent upon them wanting your future business.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.