Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help!

tag
Quarterchips
Established Member

Need help!

Hello--

I had a Wells Fargo school loan that was charged off back in 2003 (dofd=5/2003).  It appears on my report as follows:

Account Name:

WELLS FARGO BANK  Account Number: 322XXXX  Acct Type: Education Loan  Acct Status: Closed  Monthly Payment:   Date Open: 9/1/2002  Balance: $2,525.00  Terms: 61 Months  High Balance:   Limit:   Past Due:   Payment Status: Charge-off  Comments: Transferred to another lender or claim purchased

[Experian] Purchased by a another lender.
Account seriously past due date/account assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department.
Unpaid balance reported as a loss by the credit grantor.  

I recently settled this account with a lawyer, and it was never reported by any CA on my CR.  The problem is this shows a balance owed, however since it was charged off, I think it should be $0.  Am I correct, and does anyone have any advice as to what I should do about this?  My Equifax & Transunion are accurate, they show CO w/a $0 balance.  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help!

Two options:

1) Contact the OC and ask them to report accurately.

2) Dispute with EX as "incorrect balance".

Message 2 of 6
Quarterchips
Established Member

If I were to choose option #2, would that "refresh" the chargeoff in regards to credit scoring?  I know when I've disputed other things, it seems to renew the TL and takes off points as it seems like a new issue.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the last reported date?

Message 4 of 6
Quarterchips
Established Member

DOFD= 5/2003

CO'd=9/2003

Last reported to Experian=4/2005

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quarterchips wrote:

DOFD= 5/2003

CO'd=9/2003

Last reported to Experian=4/2005

Because it has been so long, I would leave it alone unless the balance showing is causing you trouble applying for something.

Looks like it will be coming off in about 1 1/2 years.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.