Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ideas to improve my FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need ideas to improve my FICO score

I am desperately needing tips on raising my FICO score, any ideas on things that work. How can I get things removed once they are paid in full?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need ideas to improve my FICO score

Welcome to the forums! OP, I split your post to form a new one here. I had to edit the title, but changed nothing else. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

The above info will help. If items are paid, then GW letters are the way to go. If they are CAs (collection agencies), then definitely mail a GW and ask them if they wouldn't mind deleting. If they are OC accounts (original creditors), then exercise caution. Sometimes bad OC accounts can turn into a positive over time. Be sure to post any specific info.

Message 2 of 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Need ideas to improve my FICO score

Lots of good info here - and it all relates back to the basics.  

Establish a good history of responsible credit use.  Show this by staying current and low util. on all your accounts, and by adding real accounts and AU accounts if needed.  Lots of info here on credit mix, utilization, etc. 

Eliminate negative items.  If something negative on your report is untrue, dispute it.  If you have real unpaid negatives, follow the PFD process.  If you have paid derogitories or late payments in the past, use the GW process.  Lots of stuff here too.

Read up on what some of us have done, what we tried, and what did or didn't work.  Ask specific questions in a new thread if you are stuck on one account.  Start with the most recent accounts and work backwards, as recent derogs are more heavily weighted in your score and less likely to age off.

It's overwhelming at first, but once you have a few wins under your belt it gets a lot easier. Never give up, never surrender, and good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.