cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need myFICO guru's advice. Old charge off Sears account, what should I do??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need myFICO guru's advice. Old charge off Sears account, what should I do??

I have an old 7/03 charge off account from sears. It is scheduled to be removed from EQ in july. It is not reporting on TU or EX anymore. I disputed this account with EQ in 11/09 because I feel that it is reporting incorrectly and should have been removed earlier like the other two CRA's, unfortunately, it came back verified and my DOFD was changed from 2002 to 2003. I actually paid the full debt I owed to sears in 2005, so technically I wouldn't think it is a charge-off anymore, but what do I know? Anyways, I know I only have to wait til July but I am planning on getting a mortgage soon, and am planning on EQ being my middle score. Should I bother disputing this again? If so would my best bet be an online dispute or CMRR? Thanks so much. I have learned a lot from these boards!

Also wondering if anyone could tell me if I could expect much of a score change when this gets deleted. I opened it 1999, so if I am correct, it will hurt when it comes to AAoA, correct? But, it has 40 late payments tied to it...yikes, and that's a red flagger on my myFICO report. TIA

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need myFICO guru's advice. Old charge off Sears account, what should I do??

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old 7/03 charge off account from sears. It is scheduled to be removed from EQ in july. It is not reporting on TU or EX anymore. I disputed this account with EQ in 11/09 because I feel that it is reporting incorrectly and should have been removed earlier like the other two CRA's, unfortunately, it came back verified and my DOFD was changed from 2002 to 2003. I actually paid the full debt I owed to sears in 2005, so technically I wouldn't think it is a charge-off anymore, but what do I know? Anyways, I know I only have to wait til July but I am planning on getting a mortgage soon, and am planning on EQ being my middle score. Should I bother disputing this again? If so would my best bet be an online dispute or CMRR? Thanks so much. I have learned a lot from these boards!

Also wondering if anyone could tell me if I could expect much of a score change when this gets deleted. I opened it 1999, so if I am correct, it will hurt when it comes to AAoA, correct? But, it has 40 late payments tied to it...yikes, and that's a red flagger on my myFICO report. TIA

Because the compliance date is so near, what I'd do is let it fall off on its own. I definitely wouldn't dispute it (what would you be disputing anyway?). That it fell off early on your other reports doesn't make it reported incorrectly on your EQ report.Falling off early is just good luck. It sounds like it's reporting correctly as a paid charge-off. There's no legal basis for disputing just because you want it to disappear sooner as oposed to later. And, disputed derogatory accounts and mortgage apps are like oil and water-- a huge red flag to prospective lenders. Even if you had a valid reason to dispute, you'd need (at least) 30 to 45 days to get it resolved. That would put you at the end of June/beginning of July timeframe, anyway. Then the CRA is likely to return that it's been verified, given that's what they did before. You might as well wait, and let it drop. 

An alternative to waiting is to try calling the OC for a goodwill removal since you did pay it, and it's near to being gone anyway. Try the corporate HQ to find a sympathetic ear. I think you'd have way more luck going the goodwill route. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.