Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on how to handle an incorrectly reported late

tag
Relique
New Contributor

Need some advice on how to handle an incorrectly reported late

Hello guys,

Been gardening my three secured cards for a bit while waiting for derogs to start falling off next year.  All my derogs occured around the same time when I lost my job six years ago. I had two reward cards from Barklays that I used regularly. Before I completely let my credit go and couldn't pay, I had lates pop up on my reports but was always good with Barklays, I paid off one of the cards and they immediately cancelled it. They cancelled the second card after my first late but I paid them in full for that one too.

First card is still on my report with no derogs. Second card is showing a 180 day late in 2009. About 3 years after the account was paid and closed. The late originally only showed on equifax. I did an online dispute saying that the account was closed and paid at that time and couldn't have been late 3 years later. It came back verified and they added more account information. Few months later I decided to dispute this late again, this time I sent a dispute letter by mail and clearly explained that a paid and closed account could not be late after 3 years. It came back verified and the late showed up on experian a few days later.

I honestly can't remember if I was ever 180 days late on that account at all. I know it took me a couple of months to pay off that card but I was regularly making payments after the initial late and cancellation. My problem with this is that this makes it my most recent derog and not only is it dragging my score down for being most recent but will take a few years to fall off.

I am now thinking of disputing this directly with barklays but decided to ask here first. If I dispute with OC how/who can I contact, or is it better to try to make a BBB complaint or the sort? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.