Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on where to start

tag
barkerstv
Established Member

Need some advice on where to start

Hello all,

I'm trying to start repairing my credit.  My biggest issue at this time is I have no extra income to pay off any delinquencies.  I will be using my 2012 tax return to start doing that, but that won't be until Jan-Feb 2012.  It seems like I'll have to deal with collection calls until then.  So until then, does anyone have any advice on what I could/should do?  I recently posted a similar thread, but I am going to provide more information on this one.  Thank you in advance for any advice.  This forum is great.  Here is a line-up of my baddies:

ZALE/CBNA Condition  Closed Balance  $4,270 Type  Charge account Pay Status  Late 120 Days Past Due  $810 High Balance  $4,270 Terms  0 Limit  $4,270 Payment  $185 Opened  04/08/2009 Reported  07/25/2011 Responsibility  Individual

BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE Condition  Paid Balance  $0 Type  Credit Card Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $0 High Balance  $1,888 Terms  0 Limit  $1,500 Payment  $0 Opened  11/04/2008 Reported  02/03/2011 Responsibility  Individual

SEARS/CBNA Condition  Paid Balance  $0 Type  Credit Card Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $0 High Balance  $4,858 Terms  0 Limit  $4,250 Payment  $0 Opened  10/17/2002 Reported  03/07/2011 Responsibility  Individual

CHASE BANK USA NA Condition  Derogatory Balance  $1,931 Type  Credit Card Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $1,931 High Balance  $2,271 Terms  0 Limit  $1,700 Payment  $0 Opened  04/17/2003 Reported  07/12/2011 Responsibility  Individual

CHASE- BEST BUY Condition  Derogatory Balance  $1,811 Type  Credit Card Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $1,811 High Balance  $1,811 Terms  0 Limit  $1,500 Payment  $0 Opened  10/23/2006 Reported  07/17/2011 Responsibility  Individual

NCO FINANCIAL SYSTEMS Condition  Derogatory Balance  $630 Type  ------ Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $0 High Balance  $630 Terms  ------ Limit  $0 Payment  $0 Opened  05/16/2011 Reported  06/26/2011 Original Holder  PACIFIC GAS AND ELECTRIC Responsibility  Individual

CACH LLC Condition  Derogatory Balance  $4,540 Type  ----- Pay Status  Collection/Chargeoff Past Due  $0 High Balance  $4,540 Terms  ----- Limit  $0 Payment  $0 Opened  02/10/2011 Reported  07/27/2011 Original Holder  08 CITIBANK SOUTH DAKOTA N A Responsibility  Individual

CITIFINANCIAL

Condition  Open Balance  $6,469 Type  Unsecured loan Pay Status  Late 120 Days Past Due  $1,220 High Balance  $7,875 Terms  60 Limit  $0 Payment  $238 Opened  09/11/2008 Reported  06/30/2011 Responsibility Individual

MERIWEST CREDIT UNION

Condition  Derogatory Balance  $0 Type  Auto Loan Pay Status  Repossession Past Due  $0 High Balance  $29,215 Terms  72 Limit  $0 Payment  $505 Opened  04/10/2009 Reported  10/31/2009 Responsibility  Individual

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jeduhi
Contributor

Re: Need some advice on where to start

First thing I would do would be call any CCC with an open TL and speak with them about getting your accounts and keeping them current. If you're unable to make the minimum payment then ask them if they can help you. They're willing to work with you in most cases, you paying them while they keep adding interest is what makes them money not having the account CO and then sending to collections.

You say you're going to use your 2011 tax returns to pay off bills. Do you currently have an emergency fund saved up of at least one months expenses? If not I would suggest putting a months expenses in savings, then gradually trying to build it up to 3 months then 6 months or when you have an emergency you'll be right back to charging on the credit cards. Focus on the accounts that aren't closed and contact them ASAP it's much tougher to deal with the OC once the account has been charged off.

I'm not trying to preach because I let my financial situation go to hell a few years ago living out of my means, but if you're unable to pay any additional money you might want to look at your statements each month and see where you could save some money (i.e. carrying your lunch, using coupons, carpooling to work, etc.) trim the fat then apply that to your debt. My credit score is trash but at the end of this month I'll be debt free except student loans which are in deferment right now and the interest is so minimal it's not worth paying. There are two ways to pay off the debt the snowball method or the one which is more cost effective of paying the highest interest rate first. The second one is obvious you choose which has the highest interest rate and pay any additional money there. The snowball method you pay the minimal amount on all debt except the lowest and pay as much to that debt as you can once it's paid off you pay the minimum on all remaning debt and again pay as much as you can to the smallest debt. This often helps because you're able to see progress faster, and we a very visual species.

Hope you're able to get yourself on track and good luck.

Message 2 of 6
barkerstv
Established Member

Thank you very much jeduhi.  I currently do not have a months worth of income saved.  This is due to DW being unemployed for over a year back in 2009-2010.  Not to mention we were living out of our means anyway.  Paycheck to paycheck is no fun.  Then when she found a job, we had to provide after school care for our son.

We recently set up a budget (Aug. 1st) to cut the fat, so it seems like we're doing the right thing to start saving some $$.  Also, we are moving to another home in September where we will be paying $300 less per month.  We would like to move somewhere even cheaper, but finding an apartment with our credit scores has been almost impossible.  The place we are moving into is a family friends rental.

I'm going to try sending GW letters to Barclays and Meriwest to see if they can delete my lates and/or delete the TL all together.  Those are the only 2 that are paid off right now.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@barkerstv wrote:

Thank you very much jeduhi.  I currently do not have a months worth of income saved.  This is due to DW being unemployed for over a year back in 2009-2010.  Not to mention we were living out of our means anyway.  Paycheck to paycheck is no fun.  Then when she found a job, we had to provide after school care for our son.

We recently set up a budget (Aug. 1st) to cut the fat, so it seems like we're doing the right thing to start saving some $$.  Also, we are moving to another home in September where we will be paying $300 less per month.  We would like to move somewhere even cheaper, but finding an apartment with our credit scores has been almost impossible.  The place we are moving into is a family friends rental.

I'm going to try sending GW letters to Barclays and Meriwest to see if they can delete my lates and/or delete the TL all together.  Those are the only 2 that are paid off right now.

Rebudgeting is a great first step. And certainly stick to it! Back in my unwise credit days, I remember racking up $20k+ in bad debt, most of it with CCs. DW and I were in our very early 20s and it was no fun. I remember the stress. I remember getting phone calls and I would say something like "Mr. llecs? No, he died" or "No, he moved out after his lease expired." or something like that. I remember threatening the CAs saying that if they call one more time, I will put their bill at the bottom of my payment list. That showed them. Smiley Very Happy .

It all boils down to increasing your income and decreasing your expenses. If you did everything you can do to rebudget, and nothing else can be cut, then you'd have an income problem. But here are a few things we did to help alleviate the situation:

We decreased our expenses. Consider cutting out cable. If you have a cell phone and a home phone, then cancel one. Cancel any subscriptions to any magazines or cut out any dues you might be paying. Examine any services you are paying for and see if you can scale back. These include phone, cell phone (do we really use all of those minutes?), insurance (maybe you are overinsured), health insurance (high deductible plans are way cheaper and you can write off more on your taxes), your electricity (budget plans can save if you sign up now in the summer), and so on. Cancel any vacation plans or hobbies that drain money; you can always pick them back up later. Re-evaluate school costs/daycare costs to find a cheaper alternative in the short-term. Stop eating out. Re-evalutate your grocery budget (rice and beans isn't so bad if it means being debt free). Re-evaluate where you shop; if you aren't getting paid to purchase items that you normally buy then go somewhere else. Go line by line and ask if you really need that item.

Reconsider that tax refund. If you are getting a refund, or got one last spring, then change your W-4!!! You can adjust your tax form with your employer and ask for a fixed $ deduction vs. one or two or three or more dependents. This way, you can have more on your paycheck  beginning next payday! Do the same for state if applicable. You won't get that big refund next year, but you'll have more of that on your paycheck now. If saving for IRA, 401(k) or whatever, stop that temporarily. It is better to pay off a 30% APR card than it is to save at a 10-15% growth rate on your investment (though not come lately).

Sell any assets. Make eBay and Craigslist your friend. There's junk around your house, stuff you don't want or need, that people are willing to pay cash for. You'll learn that if or when you move. Utilize that and be more organized in the process. Get rid of any fun toys (e.g. waverunners, extra car, golf clubs, etc.) and you can always buy bigger and better later. Sell any non-401(k) or non-IRA investments. If you have two or more cars, consider letting one or more go. Or trade down. Buy a short-term beater and use any asset in the cars to further reduce your debt.

For income, get a second or third job. Start your own business (that's what I did out of necessity). Ask for a raise. Not only re-evaluate your income, but re-evaluate your time and see where it could be rebudgeted. None of this is permanent if you don't want it to be. Just long enough to get them to go away and clean up your reports in the process. Take the stress off.

Message 4 of 6
barkerstv
Established Member

It looks like we are in a similar position you were in! Early 20's, racking up debt.  We have caller ID so I haven't been answering the collection calls!  A few positives with my job (UPS driver) are that I have full benifits for my family and the option to work a lot.  The maximum I can work per day is 12hrs, but in doing so I could make over $100K in a year.  Last year I only made $80K.  Its just really rough working such a physical job so many hours per day.  This might be my best option to gain the additional income needed to get out of this hole.

I live in an expensive part of California, so rent/mortgage isn't too cheap.  We could easily cut out a lot of our Cable bill. That will be my next step.  Our cell phone bill is about as low as we could get it.  When we move we will be going through our things to see what we don't need or want, and those things will be going on Craigslist or Ebay.

I'm so ready to get out of this hole, DW isn't as optomistic.  Any advice on some coaching for her?  She seems to see a lot of things as a neccessity NOW.  Not later.  I am the same way, but starting to realize I/we will be much happier in the long run.

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@barkerstv wrote:

I'm so ready to get out of this hole, DW isn't as optomistic.  Any advice on some coaching for her?  She seems to see a lot of things as a neccessity NOW.  Not later.  I am the same way, but starting to realize I/we will be much happier in the long run.

Our dynamic is interesting. Personally, I don't mind being a million in debt so as long as I have a million in assets to pay it off. However, if I ever get in a negative cash flow issue, it becomes the end of the world for me and I'd rather be cash only and eat rice and beans everyday. For DW, it pains her to be in any debt, even if just a few hundred, but in a negative cash situation, she wants to buy the world and spend her way into a bigger mess. I think the spending makes her feel better. Happy wife equals happy life so I'll give her a choice of two wants/needs that fit within the budget and I'll let her choose. That way she has control, somewhat, over the situation. For example, I'll say would you rather have $500 for new clothes for the kiddos or $500 for fall sports registrations. But at least not doing one over the other didn't come from me and doesn't make me the bad guy. I'm also open with all of the finances and definitely never hide anything. I'll also paint the bigger picture and ask her to recite to me how good it feels to be out of debt or to have x% savings per month. I'll also create goals with her (and the kids) that if we save $x and payoff $y, then we'll go to Disney or wherever. So that way savings and debt paydown become more important and becomes reachable and measurable goal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.