Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice

Hey guys I've been lurking around this place since March of 2011 trying to get some ideas on how to rebuild my credit, and get my score up over the 750 mark. I have found a TON of great ideas so far but I' m having some difficulty figuring out the next steps I need to take..So here is my story so far...(kinda long)

I decided that it was time for me to take charge of my credit in March of 2011 so tht at some point I can buy a car..house...and pay for my daughters college when she gradutates in ~6 years. (want to go to  school at Notre Dame $$$ then to medical school after that $$$$$$$). I found my credit score was a 581 on March 30th.

I made a whole lot of mistakes since I've turned 18 and got my first cc back in 97 and it has went downhill since then. I have had 3 car repos from 98-01 but have taken care of them since and quite a few other problems that i have taken care of some but not others so far...since I made so many mistakes I have not had a credit card, loan (other than student loans) really anything because I knew how bad it was I figured why even try and paid cash for everything that I did.

I had a few items in collection in March, Progressive ~$75, Ohio Edison ~$306, Cable company ~$365, Direct Loans~$16,000, and 2 judgements one for $2000 the other for $1000

I have paid off so far Progessive and Ohio Edison, and the $2000 judgement (garnishment) . So I'm left with the cable co and student loans.

My student loans are from 05-06. In 09 they were threating to garnish wages and asset seizure so I spoke to them and they put me on an income contigency plan since i was making <18,000 gross a year. When they did that they said that they were going to take the 6 loans that I had taken out and consilidate them into one and remove the others from my CR that were showing they were in collections with a bunch of 120 day lates. Instead they changed them all to charge offs. I tried to dispute them but they were mine so they came back as validated.

What should be my next move?

Since the one judgement was paid can I get that taken off?

Should I pay the cable co in full if they delete or is that not affecting my score too much since its from 07?

The other judgement i pisses me off because it is from that credit card I got in 97 and they closed the account in 98. yeap thought there was a SOL on those but apparentlly  Midland Credit can do what they want... (yeah I got the letter about the class action suit but it said nothing about it being vacated and removed from my CR or else I would signed up for it.) I recieved no notification that I was being sued or I would have at least shown up and maybe got it thrown out....

I have a Cap 1 secured card with a 200 CL and just applied and was approved for an Orchard bank mastercard with a CL of 300. My score is currently a 642 as of yesterday (applied for the Orchard bank last night so I know my score will change.)

Thanks for taking the time to read my incoherrent mumbling!

Matt

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need some advice

Glad you are posting!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Since you have 2 CCs, I wouldn't apply for any more credit.

For the SLs, per FICO, the 120-day is scored on par as a CO. I wouldn't sweat that. You can send GW letters after making several on-time payments and ask them if they wouldn't mind deleting any lates or CO comments. I did read of Direct Loans success via a GW letter.

Search around for vacating a judgment. There are ways of working with the plaintiff's attorney and the courthouse to get it removed early.

Is the cable company  reporting or is it a CA reporting on behalf of the cable company? Either way, it should be a negative. If it is the cable company reporting, send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete.

When was the judgment from Midland? It can report for 7 years so you might see a deletion soon assuming you were sued in 2004/2005. If sued prior to that, then it shouldn't be reporting.

Is Progressive the insurer or is Progressive the CA? If the CA and unpaid, then mail a DV letter. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD. If you already paid the CA, then mail a GW. If this is Progressive the insurer, then send a PFD if they are reporting as unpaid.

If Ohio Edison is reporting, and reporting a CO balance, then send a PFD.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.