Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some collections advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some collections advice

Back in 2009 when things were rough for us I stopped paying two HSBC accounts one was about $400 and the other $800.  Both of course are in collections and are on my report. The statue of limitations in my state is 6 years that is in about a year and they both fall off my credit report in spring of 2017.  I got a call from the collections company on the $800 account and it appears they are willing to settle for far less.  I don't want to do anything that prolongs the DOFD and extends how long it will be on my report but if I can avoid the potential of court on this debt it would be preferred. Not sure they would go so far as to go to court over 800 bucks??  If they offer to settle for 2 or 300 bucks should I take that deal? I suspect that part of my barrier to getting good CC is the fact that these two accounts are showing as open collections so I have to think not having any active collections is prefferable. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need some collections advice

Paying/settling the debt will not change the DOFD or reset the clock for the CRTP.  It will prevent it from updating and let it age gracefully.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like this is the thing to do,  I suspect we will come to agreement at $300 I will try and negotiate a PFD situation but I have read that Calvary is notoriously uncooperative.

Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't hurt to try though. Wish you the best of luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry dont mean to thread jack.  i have a medical collection paid off 2 years ago that still updates almost monthly.  from the above comment am i seeing that they should not be able to do that?  i've just recently sent a GW letter for removal, and over the phone from the collector she said it would be removed if paid which never happened.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

sorry dont mean to thread jack.  i have a medical collection paid off 2 years ago that still updates almost monthly.  from the above comment am i seeing that they should not be able to do that?  i've just recently sent a GW letter for removal, and over the phone from the collector she said it would be removed if paid which never happened.

It is supposed to stop updating when paid. I would file a BBB complaint against them for shoddy business practices

1. Failing to live up to deletion by verbal agreement

2. Keeping your Fico score depressed by updating a paid collection every month

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.