Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some direction......

tag
js2787
Established Member

Need some direction......

Long story short.

I have one collection account in the amount of $691, which according to TU should be deleted in December 2014. I am going to try and see if I can get an early exclusion deletion this coming week.

Also, I have a school loan I recently got back on track about 4 months ago. Long story on that one, but I had a few missed payments recently due to a miscommunication on my part.

Those are the only bad marks on my credit. 

I know I shouldn't have, but I applied for two cards a Discover IT and I think Barclays rewards a few days ago. I was denied by both. My score is a 664 currently.

What should I do from here? Obviously try and get the collections account deleted and or wait for it to fall off. I plan on keeping my school loan up to date also.

But when should I app for cards? What cards should I go after?  I currently have zero cards, I haven't touched my credit in about 7 years. So I have nothing recent on my credit and I would like to start building,

thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Re: Need some direction......

What is the collection account for $691.. Who is it?
Your score isn't too bad. I would start with a Capital one secured credit card and start BUILDING credit THEN apply for other cards in about 6-12 months. Make sure you use them and pay in full every month or do not exceed 10% utilization.
To remove that account early you can send a GW letter, if they deny it you can do a PFD which may require you to pay a small amount to remove it early.. It may be worth it if funds are tight to just wait until December.
Another great option is a "Credit Builder" account which I have listed in detail what one is on this site.
As far as your student loans... There is another section of this site to inquire about those, I know very little about student loans.

Good luck!
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.