Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some opinions..eliminating 6.5k CC debt - 24 y/o

tag
TruC
New Visitor

Need some opinions..eliminating 6.5k CC debt - 24 y/o

Hey all, this is my first post here and I wanted to see what others thought of my financial situation.

A little background, I am 24 years old, just recently graduated with my M.A. degree (paid for the education with student loans mostly, but that is for a later time). I recently broke up with my long-time girlfriend who I used to live with and moved back in my parents. I've been living with them for the past 6 months and focusing on eliminating my debt that I built up while in school and living beyond my means, with a "I'll just pay it later attitude". I work two jobs, one paying $40k that is per diem that I estimate I'll make around $10k in a year (so total of $50k income - and looking for better!)

Well now is "later" and looking back, of course I realize that was a bad decision. Coming out of school, I had around $9,000 credit card debt, which now I've cut it down to around $6,500, in 6 months.

So my ultimate plan is to try to pay off the 6,500 I owe in CC debt while I am living with my parents, and eventually get my own place once I no longer have any CC debt. The one issue I am unsure of is whether I should aim to eliminate all the debt before I move out on my own (which would take around 7 months, and I'd plan to be living on my own by October 1st, 2014) or if I should aim to get my CC balances below 30% of my max limit (which would take around 4 months, plan to be out by July 1) .

My initial thought was to focus on eliminating the debt completely and ditch credit cards in general. If I were to do this, I'd have to live with my parents for 3 extra months, but I'd be free of credit card debt in general. The only issue with this scenario would be the normal "living at home" issues that arise, but owing $0 to creditors makes it all worth it.

On the other hand, I remembered the reason I got the credit cards in the first place...to build good credit that would help down the road when financing a house or a car. That was the initial reason, but like many others, I maxed out the credit cards when life issues came up. Being at the max and applying for more cards in a crunch (and even above the max at times) has hurt my credit score significantly. So now that my focus is eliminating my credit card debt, I am wondering if totally eliminating my debt is a smart idea or if it would be more benefical to just lower my debt to 30% of my max and make payments on the cards, but not use them at all.

In the 30% credit card scenario, I'd be living on my own by the summer, a few months earlier, and I'd be able to focus on building my savings, investing, and budgeting my money without making large $500+ payments to my credit debt every pay period. While doing this, I'd also be improving my credit scores (I suppose). I'd have about $2,700 (which is 30% of my total $9,000 credit limit) to pay off over time.

So, I am somewhat torn on which is the better idea or strategy of eliminating my credit card debt. No matter what, my goal is to not have any cards maxed out and to eventually be out of credit card debt. On one hand, the idea of having $0 owed to credit card companies sounds great but thinking of moving out on my own in October seems so far and a little demotivating. Also, I am afraid that this strategy will have little-or-no positive effect on my credit score.

On the other hand, paying off my debt until I only owe less than 30% of my credit card max's has its pros and cons also. The Pros are that I'd be able to live on my own sooner (and have a financial goal that is sooner and also easier to reach) and that this strategy would help my credit score. The Cons would be that I'd still be in credit card debt, just slightly, but I wouldn't be relieved of the debt totally. And in the long run, this strategy will end of costing me a few hundred more $$ in interest.

This is just something that I've been thinking about recently and struggling to decide which strategy is better. I am more leaning toward the first strategy, and living with my parents while I totally eliminate my debt and then going from there. I just wanted to get some opinions from others, to help me shape my decision.

As a side note, living with my parents has not been an issue and I do pay them rent, but it is a fraction (probably a 1/3) of what I'd be paying living on my own. I do, however, want to live on my own just for the simple fact of being independent at 24. So I am also weighing my options of whether living on my own is a smart decision at this time when living with my parents hasn't brought on any problems. It has actually brought us closer, but I am sure my parents would prefer me living on my own and visiting compared to living in my old, small, bedroom. This is something that I will figure out on my own, but since it has financial implications, I would like to see what others thought.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need some opinions..eliminating 6.5k CC debt - 24 y/o

Long post... If you can get along with your parents stay till you have 0 CC debt, you need to have at least 3 revoloving bankcards to get best FICOs so keep this in mind if you plan on jettisoning some CCs, best of luck to you.

Message 2 of 9
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Also...you'll see your score SHOOT up when you get closer to 10% utilization. Good Luck
Message 3 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you have the chance to stay at your parents home and pay off all the CC debt I would recommend doing this. Then a fresh start with 0 debt and a new place...great way to start a new area. Do not ditch your CCs ..keep your plan to build a good score and use the CCs the same way as a debit card. Take advantage of the benefits of the cards. You do not need to use them as "credit" cards. I have been doing this all my life and enjoy the benefits of the cards but never pay a dime in interest to the banks. I am a lousy customer but I like that - All the best Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
TruC
New Visitor

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the long post, I didn't realize until I finished typing it all! Paying down the debt to $0 will take longer and I'll live at home for long but it will most likely be more satisfying knowing that there is no debt at all. The one con that I forgot to add to moving out when my debt is around 30% is that my living expenses will skyrocket and I will have a lot less money to pay off CC debt. I may end up taking a full year to pay off the debt that I could've paid off in 3 extra months because of it...

Any others opinions are welcome though. Id be interested to here what others think.
Message 5 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Ultimately, you want your CC balances to reflect <10% UTIL, but 0% is also bad scorewise.   However, UTIL refers to how much posts on a statement; you could certainly PIF before interest accrues.

I also think getting rid of CCs entirely is also a bad idea.  What you need is to figure out how to use credit responsibly and to your advantage.  A PIF model is a great way to do it; you can even get rewards cards in time, so that spending money on CCs can help you save.  I do think you should get your score to an optimal place before you move out, to save on expenses.   Good luck!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 9
TruC
New Visitor

Yes, I'd definitely not get rid of them entirely. I meant get rid of the debt entirely, but yes, I agree that using credit cards responsibly can help build good credit. I am not there yet though!

So maybe my focus should be dropping the card debts to around 10% UTIL instead of 30%? That will be around $1000.
Message 7 of 9
QFJFKSYD
Valued Member

My opinion is stay home, pay down, save up as long as you can.  Even if it is a couple months after October.  Trust me, the year will fly by.  They always do.

But having 1st/last/security in cash not credit will really help you.  Use the cards for your regular expenses, but only when you have the cash to pay them off.  Credit Cards are not bad.  People maxing them out and living with the interest etc, is what is bad.  I know this far far too well personally.

Message 8 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@QFJFKSYD

interesting user name...maybe I should change to LXZRHMIA ? LOL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.