Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need sound advice fast!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need sound advice fast!!

Ok, never posted before but need some sound advice! I am in the market for a house and have about $20,000.00 to put down. My husband and I are looking in the price range of $250-$290K. We both have steady jobs...his salary about $80K and mine $60K. We went though a job loss of about 7 months that took all our savings and left us with a hefty credit card debt-$30,000.00. We also have 2 car loans and a student loan totaling $40,000. I was thinking today that maybe it's a good idea to put that $20,000 towards our debt, and balance transfer the remaining CC debt to my credit card that I have had the longest...has the lowest interest rate out of all my cards. We would wait a few months while we build our savings back up before we buy a house. Would this action totally improve my credit score? If so, by what amount. Any other suggestions? Current FICO score is 661 and my debt ratio is 78%!! Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Need sound advice fast!!

I'm no expert, but I'd think that putting some of the savings on the card could be a good thing.  It will a) remove some of the eventual interest and b) bring your debt ratio down to a more attractive # for lenders.  Maybe hang on to 8k of the savings to show you've put some aside too.  Might show a nice balance of some debt & some savings along with two attractive incomes as well.

I'm guessing your reports show no neg's...right?
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need sound advice fast!!

With that debt ration it's going to be EXTREMELY HARD to get a home loan...is that your debt to income ratio..or your debt to credit ratio...

What is you middle score??....do you know the required min score for a conventional loan...I think it's 680...but if you qualify FHA..you will need 3% down..but you can put more if you want...

So use some of the money...spread it out over the cards...that should help your overall and individual...UTL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.