Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to build Credit!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to build Credit!!

Hello All! Need to build my credit ASAP! Anybody know of ways to add credit aside from Secured Credit Cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
roniram
Regular Contributor

Re: Need to build Credit!!

Building credit is something that takes time.   And a large portion of the FICO scoring is based on credit cards.  SO, obtaining a credit card is going to be your best shot.

If you have no credit, it may be easier to obtain a credit card than if you have bad credit.  There are several credit cards you may qualify for unsecured.  They may be small limits, but it is a start.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to establish some credit to buy a vehicle and get a decent interest rate.
Message 3 of 6
roniram
Regular Contributor

Well, like I said, it will take some time.  Capital One is one of the easiest places to get an unsecured credit card.  Try their pre-qual site.  If you are prequalified, generally you will get their card.  If you follow some of the advice listed on these forums (which is ALOT of advice) your score will eventually rise to the point you will qualify for better credit.  Me, it took about 1 1/2 years to get to that point (had to remove old lates, collections and a bankruptcy to fall off)  But, some people can do it in mere months.  

Whatever crredit card you get - DONT KEEP BALANCES ON IT.  Took me years to figure that out.  If you can't pay it off, or keep a small balance (less than 10%), then don't bother with the card.

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha! Thank you for your help!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's more secured credit cards out there than I knew of. Shoot, just learnt that Citi has one as well.

Shop around!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.