Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to prove that OC can remove tradeline

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to prove that OC can remove tradeline

I got a call back from the PNC EO, they sounded compassionate about my reasoning to request a tradeline, but they said due to rules and regulations they didn't think they'd be allowed to remove a tradeline.  When I told them that wasn't true, they were intrigued to hear more.  I told them I'm called them back with more solid info.

I know I've read things backing this up before, but it'll take me forever to pull this up.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is one thing I was able to find: http://thebluechairstudio.com/severson-newsletter/the-legality-of-deleting-tradelines-to-effectuate-...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need to prove that OC can remove tradeline

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a call back from the PNC EO, they sounded compassionate about my reasoning to request a tradeline, but they said due to rules and regulations they didn't think they'd be allowed to remove a tradeline.  When I told them that wasn't true, they were intrigued to hear more.  I told them I'm called them back with more solid info.

I know I've read things backing this up before, but it'll take me forever to pull this up.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is one thing I was able to find: http://thebluechairstudio.com/severson-newsletter/the-legality-of-deleting-tradelines-to-effectuate-settlement/

They are not legally required to report an account, they are required to report accurate, verifiable information IF they do report.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/mortgage-company-not-required-to-report-payments/

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's exactly what I was explaining, but I wanted to back that up with more solid information.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean... the proof is that there is no law that exists that states they are required to furnish information on consumers. It's kind of hard to produce documentation on something not existing. Other than the Experian post being directly from a CRA, they could have their lawyers look over the FCRA and explain it to them?

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The "rules and regulations" basis is not, as stated by others, accurate, in that the FCRA requires only that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate.  FCRA 623(a)(1).

However, once information has been reported, the CRAs consider deletion to be contrary to the interests of the system, in that it results in incomplete credit histories.

Thus, the basis is more corrrectly that they are bound by their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs, who incorporate that policy into their credit reporting manual and reporting agreements.

Policies are established by many furnishers based on their credit reporting agreements that they not grant such deletions.

Some employees may incorrectly infer that their internal policy is based on a statutory or regulatory prohibition, or may state as such simply to blow off such requests.

That an OC is not in violation if they delete is not determinative, as deletion is still voluntary, and no reason need be given.

Pointing them to the prohibition in their credit reporting agreements rather than a prohibition in statute or regs would not likely be basis for their grant of deletion.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is one thing I was able to find: http://thebluechairstudio.com/severson-newsletter/the-legality-of-deleting-tradelines-to-effectuate-settlement/

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds to me like you got a call from a newbie EO representative. He/she will soon get it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.