Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needed to vacate judgment

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Needed to vacate judgment

My collector agreed to have the default judgment against me vacted. When they send me back papers, which paper do I need to send to the CRA's for them to remove the judgment? Do I send them just a letter agreeing they will have the judgment vacated, or will I have to wait to receive the "so ordered: papers from the court house?

Maybe I should just wait and see if it is removed from my reports eventually? I really want this to come off fast though.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Needed to vacate judgment

The CRAs normally will not remove a judgment based on what you send them.  It needs to come from who placed it in the first place.

I would wait and see what happens.  Give them up to 90 days to update.

Message 2 of 10
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

And if after 90 days nothing happens? then what? BTW I live in NY state.

If I send the CRA's the paper work from the courthouse, and a letter signed by the judge, a stipulation so ordered, whereas the judgment is vacated, why wouldn't the CRA's remove it?

Normally court houses don't report to the CRA's, so I don't know who is reporting it.

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@gymbo731 wrote:

And if after 90 days nothing happens? then what? BTW I live in NY state.

If I send the CRA's the paper work from the courthouse, and a letter signed by the judge, a stipulation so ordered, whereas the judgment is vacated, why wouldn't the CRA's remove it?

Normally court houses don't report to the CRA's, so I don't know who is reporting it.

I did not mean the courthouse, I meant the creditor that sued you.

NY says paid collections will come off in 5 years, I have not seen anything about judgments.

I did not say they would not, I said they normally will not. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gymbo731 wrote:

My collector agreed to have the default judgment against me vacted. When they send me back papers, which paper do I need to send to the CRA's for them to remove the judgment? Do I send them just a letter agreeing they will have the judgment vacated, or will I have to wait to receive the "so ordered: papers from the court house?

Maybe I should just wait and see if it is removed from my reports eventually? I really want this to come off fast though.

You would be better off sending them the court's order vacating the judgment.  Anything less and they probably wouldn't have to remove the trade line.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely send a letter to all three cra along with your paper work.  I recently had this same problem with a vacated judgment reporting on all three reports, I sent a copy of my paperwork to the three cra and so far two of the three have been deleted, waiting for eq to delete soon. 

Good luck

Message 6 of 10
tigerdre

I would like to know the same thing but also does anyone know how much your credit score should increase once the judgment has been removed.

My situation is that this company filed a judgment on me 03/2007 after I had paid the account off in 02/2007. I contacted the court in Virginia and they said to have the company vacate the order. The company said they would but I am trying to get a pre-approval letter to put a contract on a house before 4/30/2010.

Starting Score: TU 480 EFX 479
Current Score: TU 617 EFX 520
Goal Score: TU 720 EFX 720

Message 7 of 10
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

@Gypsystravels wrote:

Definitely send a letter to all three cra along with your paper work.  I recently had this same problem with a vacated judgment reporting on all three reports, I sent a copy of my paperwork to the three cra and so far two of the three have been deleted, waiting for eq to delete soon. 

Good luck

Could you let me know what paperwork you sent exactly? I really don't know what to send them. I am assuming a stipulation vacting the judgment signed by me, and the plantiff would not be enough. They sent me a bunch of copies of the stipulation they want me to sign and return to them. What papers do you get back from them after they visit the courthouse? They said they will handle everything, and then send me all the paper work.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted the signed "Stipulation Discontinuing Action" I recieved from the attorneys for the ca along with an explanation why I wanted the item removed (reported inacurrately).

Did you recieve anything in writing stating that the judgment would be vacated, either legal or a letter?  I would make a copy and send it along with a letter stating why it should be removed.

I didn't have any problems with Experian or Transunion, I am waiting for a response from Equifax. 

Good luck Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

I received a stipulation discontinuing action and a stipulation vacating the judgment. It looks like a legal letter. I don't know what reason to send them for removing it. I guess I will send them that paper along with telling them here is an agreement of vacation, and this judgment should no longer appear on my credit report.

Thanks. Let me know how is goes for Equifax.

How long after mailing did it take for removal? THANKS!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.