Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing Advice about Collections Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Needing Advice about Collections Account

I just ordered my report from myFICO today and I noiced that it had a collections account on it. At first I didn't remember where it came from, but I remembered that when I moved out of a townhouse in Maryland I thought we had settled our gas bill, but while I was out of the country I was hit with collections of the account.

The question that I have is can I send a GW letter to the CA? Also I don't know who to send it to, although I orriginally owed it to Washington Gas, it states a collection agency called 597yc07727.

Thanks!

The collection agency "597yc07727" was hired to collect a debt of $372 originally owed to "Washington Gas" on account number "XXXX1920".

Collection agency [?] 597yc07727 Original balance [?] $372 Current balance [?] $0 Status [?] Paid Date assigned [?] Jul 01, 2007 Date reported [?] Oct 01, 2007 Date last active [?] May 01, 2007 Date paid [?] Not Reported Date closed [?] Not Reported Original lender [?] Washington Gas Account number [?] XXXX1920 Type of account [?] Not Reported Account holder [?] Individual Type of credit [?] Not Reported Payment status [?] Not Reported Largest past balance [?] Not Reported Amount past due [?] Not Reported Account descriptions [?] Not Reported

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Needing Advice about Collections Account

Send the GW to the CA that is reporting it.   Both CA's I've sent a GW to have removed the tradeline (even though one said they couldn't do it, it disappeared within a couple weeks anyhow).

See if it has any contact info listed for the CA (I think on some reports it is at the bottom, though I can't find it on myFico reports). I get the random number/letter CA names on my EQ report for some reason.   You can also check your reports with TU and EX and see if it pops up on those to give you the CA name.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the quick post, TU and EX both don't show this collections account..I wish they wouldn't obscure the CA's name..
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are in Michigan the SOL is 6 years. Maryland on this is 3 years. They can use either SOL. They usually use where you live now unless it is big bucks and the other state (Maryland) has a longer SOL.

Call Washington gas and tell them that you have been OOC and just found out that you owe then for a final bill. Ask if they will pull it from the CA so that you can PIF.

If they accept get it in writting before paying!!!!!

You need to go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp and pull your free CR. You can get 1 CR for each CB once a year for free. Only these reports will give complete and total info.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 06-21-2009 08:41 PM
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i guess the problem is I already paid for it (a while ago, the moment I got back into the country and found it in a pile of mail)

would it be wise to call Washington Gas and try to get them to remove it? or find out who the CA was?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was paid to the CA then you must send them a GW letter.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the help! I figured as much, but I'm having trouble figuring who the CA was (this was a long time ago and I no longer have a record of who the CA was..)
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pulled my annual credit report earlier this year (but didn't see the collection account on it) Is there any other way to get the information about who the CA is?

Would calling Washington Gas be an option?

Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You could call Washington Gas. Don't let them transfer you, though.

You can also get your CRs for free directly from each CRA if you experienced an AA (e.g. CLD, ratejack, etc.) or if you've been turned down for credit within the past 60 days.

Or you can buy it for $10 or so.
Message Edited by llecs on 06-22-2009 01:21 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.