Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing advice on my journey

tag
juleslanr
Established Member

Needing advice on my journey

I started my credit rebuild this year and so far I have had success with getting several paid collections deleted! Now I am coming down to my complicated negatives and am not sure what to tackle. 

First question.. I have a Capital One which was charged off in early 2012. If I were to call and try to do a PFD, could this bite me in the rear? I don't want to wake up the beast. How much is this impacting my score now, 2 years later? I currently have a 620 score and need to get it up asap.

I also have a similar situation with a First Premier from 2010. Should I call and try to pay it? Or is it risking too much? 

Thanks for your advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Re: Needing advice on my journey

It's my understanding that Capital One is one of the more difficult credit crad companies to deal with.  My best friend had a Cap One card (with a limit of around $5k) that went to collections 3 years ago.  She hadn't heard from them in all this time & was hoping it would eventually drop off.  Low & behold, they re-surfaced in January of this year & had her pay garnished...25% each check until the bill if paid.  She ended up having to file bankruptcy.  

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@juleslanr wrote:

I started my credit rebuild this year and so far I have had success with getting several paid collections deleted! Now I am coming down to my complicated negatives and am not sure what to tackle. 

First question.. I have a Capital One which was charged off in early 2012. If I were to call and try to do a PFD, could this bite me in the rear? Yes if its not past your states SOL you could end up with a lawsuit unless you PIF anyway. You will not geta PFD from Cap-1...

I don't want to wake up the beast. How much is this impacting my score now, 2 years later? It is impossible to tell you this but it will affect the score for the entire CRTP.  I currently have a 620 score and need to get it up asap.

I also have a similar situation with a First Premier from 2010. Should I call and try to pay it? Or is it risking too much? Refer to Cap-1 info it also applies to FP.

Thanks for your advice!

Message 3 of 6
juleslanr
Established Member

Thanks everyone.   Now I am worried. If it was a charge off, and closed.. can they still come after me?

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@juleslanr wrote:

Thanks everyone.   Now I am worried. If it was a charge off, and closed.. can they still come after me?

Any creditor that has an unpaid CO can come after you so can CAs. The SOL is the time limit for them to be able to win a judgment against you in court. If you have settled the CO for less than owed then no its done and over with...

Message 5 of 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@juleslanr wrote:

I called Capital One today to set up payments for a charge off my friend had and luckily it was collections with THEIR departments and they let me pay on it and it said it will show said a Paid Charge off but the balance will be 0 and I think thats the important part because after that, you can goodwill them. If you would like the information for the young lady I spoke to, just let me know.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.