Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiating To Pay Half Of CC Balance- Closed Accts

tag
AdPray123
New Contributor

Negotiating To Pay Half Of CC Balance- Closed Accts

Hi,

I now have 3 closed credit card accounts that still have balances. (2 from my past and 1 recently because the bank flopped due to the economy).  I want to give the credit card companies half of the outstanding balances for them to take care of the other half. Is this negotiating possible? I faintly remember years ago MBNA did this for me but it was a settlement situation.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Its almost 2010 and I am tired of looking at these bills!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Negotiating To Pay Half Of CC Balance- Closed Accts

You'll wind up taking a serious score beating, but it can be done.
Message 2 of 5
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

Yes, with cash-in-hand I was able to successly negociate 20-25% of the balance due - but the previous poster was correct - your credit score will take a huge hit & even though you will show a $0 balance, they can report you as a CO each month.

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
AdPray123
New Contributor

Oh I didn't know they would mark my account as a CO or it will reduce my score if my account is already closed?  I really don't want my score to be affected negatively. Is there a way they will take a lower payment without reducing my score or marking it negatively? Looks like I would be better off paying it in fullSmiley Sad (oh no)
Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@AdPray123 wrote:

Hi,

I now have 3 closed credit card accounts that still have balances. (2 from my past and 1 recently because the bank flopped due to the economy).  I want to give the credit card companies half of the outstanding balances for them to take care of the other half. Is this negotiating possible? I faintly remember years ago MBNA did this for me but it was a settlement situation.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Its almost 2010 and I am tired of looking at these bills!

How much are the balances?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.