cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiations over the phone. Advice Please?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Negotiations over the phone. Advice Please?

@Brooklyn2018

wrote:
Hi.
I have a few questions about negotiating with CA’s over the phone.

Is it ok to do so?
Yes but get your zen on first. Calm and collected, all the necessary info handy. Some of these folks can be really hostile especially when you don't give them information
How do I start the conversation?
"There's this thing on my credit report with your company's name on it, how do we make it go away?"
What do I mention?
You have other people to pay to and if their not willing to give you a delete, you'll get back to them after you've paid those that will, if there's still money left to pay with. 
What do I not mention?
How much you have available to pay everyone. Any info that isn't in the account entry in your reports. 
What info do I GIVE?
Name, and I set up a dead drop email (not connected to anything else) for this sort of thing, also great for any websites that seem iffy. Any info needed to ID the account that is in the credit reports under the CA's entry.
What info do I NOT GIVE?
SSN, DOB, Phone# (*67 to block caller ID), Current address unless it's to get a settlement letter w/ PFD, income, assets, account# of other accounts, basically if you wouldn't give the info to a random stranger don't give it to the collections agent.
Where do I start with $amount$?

Depends on the amount and age of the debt. Older or larger debt that will drop off soon you can open the bid starting at maybe 30% and let them talk you up to 50% if it gets you the delete. Newer or smaller debt they have less incentive to make a deal so I would ask for a break but be prepared to PIF to get the delete.
PFD?(is the goal here)

Anyone who tells you they can't do PFD, explain to them nicely that you'll get back to them after you've paid those that can, unless they'd like to consult with their supervisor to see if they can make an exception. If they won't do that that then politely end the call and try again later.
I’m sure there are OTHER IMPORTANT questions I may or may not have left out but, THIS is some important things to REALLY KNOW so as not to make the mistake at saying the wrong things. So, with that being said, is there a RIGHT and WRONG way to go this route?
Play dumb about the debt and smart about your rights and privacy. Don't lose your cool, a big tactic in the manipulation game to get what they want is to get you emotionally off balance- guilt, shame, anger, fear, and anxiety are all approaches that collector use to get you to give up info or pay more or sooner. Get the PFD agreement in print before paying. Email is great for this. There is a best time to call, end of the day, week, and month, a lot of reps are trying to fill quotas and are at a psychological disadvantage and more motivated to make a deal. 
I have some baddies I want off that have been validated in the past and some are small enough to just PFD but, don’t want to GET CAUGHT with my pants down, so to speak, and say something that’ll RESET the account or anything else that’ll stall the approach(other than them saying “NO” to my offer.

Thanks so much.

I just could not find much info on the discussion in more detail for my better understanding and approach.

If anyone can take the time to explain the BEST way(without going the letter route and just concentrating on over the phone) that would be fantastic! Plus SUPER beneficial to others in the future to look back on. Success stories are great and glad for those that have had success but, there IS a RIGHT and WRONG approach and I would like to know that approach.

Thank you again!

GREAT PLACE! GREAT PEOPLE! GREAT ADVICE!

so here's my full spiel:

With CA's I called and said "There's this thing on my (husband's) credit report with your name on it, how do we make it go away?" If they ask for info to verify the debt, don't give them anything that isn't on the credit report entry, I used "I don't give out that kind of info on the phone", "I don't remember, I was on so much medication at the time."(most of my debts were incurred during my cancer treatment), or "My husband was drunk or hung over that entire year, so who knows." (he's almost 11 yrs sober now Smiley Very Happy) then "I just want it off the reports so we can start over" then it's either an offer or PIF, but no matter what get the agreement in writing before paying, I just told them "It's one of those CYA things, that way we both have it on record" If you get a 'difficult' person on the line, end the call nicely and try again in a day or two. Even in a small office there's likely to be someone else who will be a little more motivated. You can also hint that you only have so much you can pay out right now and if they aren't willing to delete you'll get back around to them after paying the ones that will, if you have funds left over. Just remember they are under a lot of pressure to get paid as much as possible as soon as possible, while your goal is to likely to remove as many bad marks on your history as possible as soon as possible. I actually brought this to one CA's attention and that turned a "we don't really do that" into a "let me talk to my supervisor" I had a PDF in my email in an hour - PIF for delete - called them back an put it on my debit card. Timing a call is also important, end of the day, week, and month the rep is looking to get whatever they can, within reason, to make their quota so they're more motivated to give you what you want to get paid quickly.

Message 11 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

WOW!
Powerful information that I DID NOT KNOW!

Thanks a TRILLION!!
Your advice has been SOUND and EXTREMELY MOTIVATIONAL!!

You’re AWESOME!

Thank you, again!!

Woo Hoo!! 😀😀😀👍👍👍

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 12 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Btw...I had forgotten to mention that the CA has NOT YET reported this CO on my cr as of YET. So that’s why I want to PFD as quickly as possible to prevent that entry. Then start my GW campaign to the OC, with hopes that they will remove it. When I called the OC and the rep told me that they would just report it as paid and report $0 bal. The rep also gave me instructions on writing to them(I imagine he meant GW?) and explaining my hardships to try and have it removed.

Do you THINK I should address the GW letters to him?(not sure of department he was in? Or could I leave that part off the OC’s info heading?) I figured he was who I had spoken to and was very helpful...What do you think?

I know you have important things to attend to in your busy life and I HOPE I’m not becoming an annoyance by asking and asking so many questions?? 😬 But, you’ve kind of lit a fire 🔥 under me to continue my efforts with certainty that I am gong to beat this thing! Kind of My Sponsor, I you will. 😉

Thank you for that!! 😊👍

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that's a horse of a different color if you paid the OC. Call the CA and tell them they need to check back with the OC as there is no longer a debt for them to collect or report. Same rules about info apply though just enough to identify the debt but not pin it to you. Call back the OC's rep and ask if there's a particular person or department to send the letter to. If you didn't pay the OC then you can go with the above recommendations but it's more pay not to report which does give them a little more leverage if your looking to avoid paying in full.

Glad to help. I promise to try to avoid politics and conspiracy theories - DH's sponsor has his tinfoil hat on too tight and drives me nuts, DH says it helps keep him working his program!

BTY are you from Brooklyn, NY? DH is from Greenpoint.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If OP paid OC, I would do nothing. I would wait for CA to violate FDCPA then collect a check from them. I would not call them to tell them how to do their job. Waste of my time 

Message 15 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

I’m originally from Greenpoint myself. Lived on Nassau Ave across from Winthrop Park back in the 70’-early 80’s.

>

I❤️NY
Message 16 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Ok. I think somewhere we’ve gotten off track and it is probably my fault due to not giving enough info, I guess?

But, I did not pay the OC. For they would not accept payment. OC instructed me to contact CA and make payment arraignments thru them. But, the OC(rep) stated that once payment is maid they will pullback the collection account from CA and they would report the debt show $0 balance-paid/satisfied. Those were his exact words. I wrote them down plus there is a recording of our conversation, I would think? Despite the info above, I plan on PFD or PIF and GW campaign to OC if PFD is a “no go”

Sorry for the confusion, if there was any.

Thanks!😊

>

I❤️NY
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH says India st. and Manhattan Ave about the same time. That's like 8 blocks - small world huh? Smiley Very Happy So no excuses about being from NY or surviving the 80's!Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan!

Good Luck

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok. That’s different. 

Not it sure when DOFD is but remember NY has the 5 year purge law that says any account with zero balance that is 5 years past this date must be removed from credit reports. 

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.