cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negotiations over the phone. Advice Please?

tag
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Negotiations over the phone. Advice Please?

Hi.
I have a few questions about negotiating with CA’s over the phone.

Is it ok to do so?
How do I start the conversation?
What do I mention?
What do I not mention?
What info do I GIVE?
What info do I NOT GIVE?
Where do I start with $amount$?
PFD?(is the goal here)

I’m sure there are OTHER IMPORTANT questions I may or may not have left out but, THIS is some important things to REALLY KNOW so as not to make the mistake at saying the wrong things. So, with that being said, is there a RIGHT and WRONG way to go this route?

I have some baddies I want off that have been validated in the past and some are small enough to just PFD but, don’t want to GET CAUGHT with my pants down, so to speak, and say something that’ll RESET the account or anything else that’ll stall the approach(other than them saying “NO” to my offer.

Thanks so much.

I just could not find much info on the discussion in more detail for my better understanding and approach.

If anyone can take the time to explain the BEST way(without going the letter route and just concentrating on over the phone) that would be fantastic! Plus SUPER beneficial to others in the future to look back on. Success stories are great and glad for those that have had success but, there IS a RIGHT and WRONG approach and I would like to know that approach.

Thank you again!

GREAT PLACE! GREAT PEOPLE! GREAT ADVICE!

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
capricornchanges
Regular Contributor

Re: Negotiations over the phone. Advice Please?

My advice: don’t do it. There are some very sneaky collectors out there and I have heard horror stories about folks calling and the recodings get edited some how and they wind up worse off. Only deal with them US postal CMRR.

1st goal: 700 across the board
Starting Scores 01/19/2018
Equifax : 579
Transunion: 585
Experian: 602

Current 07/06/2018
Equifax:662
Transunion: 645
Experian: 683

Message 2 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thanks you for your advice.
Yes. I kind of agree for the larger amounts. I have a few small ones <$100-$200 and a couple of the CA’s are close to me(within driving distance) so, I visit them and I’ll be ready for hope PFD and PIF those.
But, for sure, I believe your route would be best on the larger ones >$300+ that are still within SOL.

Thank you for you help! 😊

GREAT PLACE! GREAT PEOPLE! GREAT ADVICE!

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800

>

I❤️NY
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I literally was on the phone with Cavalry Portfolio Services the other day for an hour because everything I said to include in their letter back to me agreeing to offer, they kept rewording different. The supervisor had to keep editing resending to me. I don't trust any of them.
Message 4 of 32
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Thank you!
Sorry you had such a hard time. Hope it worked out for ya.
Yes. I’m leaning towards PDF by mail. The phone calls can be extremely tricky and I can’t afford tricky right now. 😬🤐

>

I❤️NY
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ughhh I hear you. I have two collections with PRA and I have sent them letters offering settlements in turn for updating the account to show paid in full. I'm not even asking them to delete it LOL just update to paid in full not settled. I keep checking my mail but so far haven't heard a peep back from them. But I dont want to call and end up worse off.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They would just email me saying someone would get in touch with me and no one ever would. 2 months of that. Finally, I just called them
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 6 collections totaling approx 5.5K. I called each CA to negotiate. I started with " Hi, I saw an entry on my credit report from your company, I'm not aware of this account, but I'd like to get this taken care of and removed from my report." They then told me what the minimum amount accepted would be, I tried to negotiate but in a friendly way, failed, and paid. I asked multiple times before I gave payment info if it would be deleted and was assured it would be. I requested an email or letter first, but they would not claiming that people have taken the letters and used them dispiute without paying. They all actually did send the communcation after payment to my surprise. 

Just as backup, I recorded the phone calls of them agreeing. One party consent state Smiley Happy  

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ D609M 👍 Very smart!
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would stay off the phone and do all negotiations by email. 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.