cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor can give permission to do hard inquiry and open an account?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Neighbor can give permission to do hard inquiry and open an account?

In underwriting for mortgage which closes on 8/12 for new house.  Had a hard inquiry pop up from EQ from a company called VIVINT INC.  It's a company that sells security systems for houses.  I called them today and they said I have an active account from them.  They got my name from my neighbor and did this.  I called them and they said they do pull CRs before they go up to the house to see if you are eligible.  Now how is this a permissable inquiry?  They said I have to give them information and fill out paperwork to get this resolved.  I filed with the local police for identity theft and called the state attorney's office to file a complaint.  Is it me or is that just plain illegal to do what they did?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Neighbor can give permission to do hard inquiry and open an account?

ILLEGAL

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

In underwriting for mortgage which closes on 8/12 for new house.  Had a hard inquiry pop up from EQ from a company called VIVINT INC.  It's a company that sells security systems for houses.  I called them today and they said I have an active account from them.  They got my name from my neighbor and did this.  I called them and they said they do pull CRs before they go up to the house to see if you are eligible.  Now how is this a permissable inquiry?  They said I have to give them information and fill out paperwork to get this resolved.  I filed with the local police for identity theft and called the state attorney's office to file a complaint.  Is it me or is that just plain illegal to do what they did?

Illegal.  Highly illegal.

Go directly to court and file for your $1,000 beer money.  Seriously.  They in no way had permissible purpose to access your credit file.

Message 3 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

06, how does one go to the court to get this beer money?  What specific steps must be taken?  I'm guessing you know a little about law.  I wouldn't have a clue how to get the 1000 bucks and I betcha OP doesn't either.

PS Happy Friday.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

06, how does one go to the court to get this beer money?  What specific steps must be taken?  I'm guessing you know a little about law.  I wouldn't have a clue how to get the 1000 bucks and I betcha OP doesn't either.

PS Happy Friday.

Sue them. 

FCRA § 604. Permissible purposes of consumer reports [15 U.S.C. § 1681b]

FCRA § 616. Civil liability for willful noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681n]

FCRA § 617. Civil liability for negligent noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681o]

There should be no problems in getting an attorney, if you choose to retain one, to handle this since the FCRA also allows for attorney fees.

Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

06 I'm so glad you posted on this one, I had already told the DW I hoped you or Robert EG would answer this one.  I'm gonna get all lawyered up and go after this one.  Oh and the first round's on me.   Thanks.

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You've surely got the name to take this on!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

06 I'm so glad you posted on this one, I had already told the DW I hoped you or Robert EG would answer this one.  I'm gonna get all lawyered up and go after this one.  Oh and the first round's on me.   Thanks.

Sic 'em! 

And I can smell where they are heading on this, too.  The business is going to say that they can pull because of what in their feeble mind is a potential business transaction.  When they pull that excuse out of their rear, tell them to FOAD.  Ample FTC Advisories and case law points to the fact that even a car dealer can't run your credit until there is a firm offer to buy.  Just walking in and asking some hypothetical questions -- even discussions about price -- does not give them permissible purpose.

Getting lawyered up is a good idea.  It always helps if you can show how the defendant's actions have caused you harm and a good lawyer can help you do just that.  Believe me, you have been harmed in ways no ordinary person could ever imagine.  Smiley Happy

You know, if that business operates like this, I smell a class action.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info and I'll definitely post an update on how it's proceeding.  I'll definitely get a lawyer, always like professionals when it comes to this sort of thing.  Smiley Happy   

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

AMEN!

The relevant tag phrase under FCRA 604 is that a business transaction must have been "initiated by the consumer," and not by the creditor.  And, as O6 has pointed out, the FTC has also issued advisory opinions that set a very restrictive interpretation even as to what is considered a business transaction.  This party fails both tests.

I think you have a slam dunk.

If you want to get ahead of the game, you can find out on your own what specific reason the creditor provided to the CRA when they did their pull of your CR, which gave them access to some of your most personal financial business.  You can simply file a request with the CRA under FCRA 609(a)(1), and request the reason submitted by the party when they obtained your CR.  Just accompany your 609(a)(1) request with proof of identity and the processing fee of $10.50.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.