Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous starting credit repair

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nervous starting credit repair

I am in the process of getting my credit cleared up. I have 6 things in collections at the moment. A few of them are past the statute of limitations. Some aren't. I have also have had some things fall of my credit before the 7 years that I haven't paid. My concern with paying things is that other collection agencies will realize I am now repaying debts and start bringing up old debts that have fallen off or not work with me because they know I want to clean up my credit. I'm not sure if that makes sense. For example, I paid an old debt today that was about 2 1/2 years away from falling off my credit. That company i guess had another debt for $35 i disputed years ago and was removed after the dispute. It is not on my credit. They said if I didn't pay that too it would go back on my credit. I didn't pay it because it really isn't my debt, it was an error in the paperwork but I don't want to be constantly paying something and having something else pop up because they know I am paying. Has anyone had issues like that when paying off collections? This entire thing has me incredibly depressed. It makes me wish i never started this in the first place and waited until everything dropped off. There are a lot of errors that are making this very hard as it is.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nervous starting credit repair

Oh, the rebuild roller coaster, I know it well.  Don't get discouraged, it takes a bit.  There are ups and downs, but it is so worth it in the end.  Keep your chin up and keep going.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Yes, yes, yes, I know it well.  The rebuild roller coaster, it is as if all the JDB parasites come out of the woodwork.  Last summer I had to go to the ER and while writhing in pain, the billing lady asked me for my co-pay of $50...well, I wasn't thinking about a co-pay, maybe some codeine, or morphine,but nothing in my pain induced mind had me thinking co-pay.  Anywhoo long story short I got admitted...spent quite some time in the hospital and recovery 5 weeks later.  I completely forgot about the co-pay.  

About two months ago I was sent a bill from a collection agency for my $50 co-pay...I paid it didn't think anything of it because it was mine.  Low and behold a month later I get a bill for $1,500 for some medical expense from 1995.  Ummmm, the original balance was $750 and somehow with interest this place tacked on another $750.  It is clearly out of SOL.  But still....it worries me.  I kick myself to this day for not stopping while I was writhing in pain and paying that co-pay....I feel like I opened up  the door and let this JDB parasite in.

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 3 of 9
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

I would start working with any medical collections, if you have them.  Paying those off can lead to quick deletion.  Pay the collection and asked that it be deleted.  Generally, you will not have a problem with that.  If you have any credit card balances that don't have an exorbitant balance, say $500 or so, then paying those down to 10% utilization will give your score a quickk boost.

Don't be afraid but do be patient.  I started here in December 2012 with a score barely at 400 and in October 2014 I closed on my first home.  I  had bad credit for YEARS because I didn't know how to clean it up.  This is your best place to find all the info you need.

Message 4 of 9
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

Another way to get good advice here is to list your negative accounts in a post.  No shame in doing so.  If we can see what negative items you have, and the amounts, then the board can advise you on a plan of attack.

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@alienfico wrote:

Yes, yes, yes, I know it well.  The rebuild roller coaster, it is as if all the JDB parasites come out of the woodwork.  Last summer I had to go to the ER and while writhing in pain, the billing lady asked me for my co-pay of $50...well, I wasn't thinking about a co-pay, maybe some codeine, or morphine,but nothing in my pain induced mind had me thinking co-pay.  Anywhoo long story short I got admitted...spent quite some time in the hospital and recovery 5 weeks later.  I completely forgot about the co-pay.  

About two months ago I was sent a bill from a collection agency for my $50 co-pay...I paid it didn't think anything of it because it was mine.  Low and behold a month later I get a bill for $1,500 for some medical expense from 1995.  Ummmm, the original balance was $750 and somehow with interest this place tacked on another $750.  It is clearly out of SOL.  But still....it worries me.  I kick myself to this day for not stopping while I was writhing in pain and paying that co-pay....I feel like I opened up  the door and let this JDB parasite in.

Send them a FOAD letter, its way past SOL.... if they try anything you will get them on violations of law. Sometimes these are even made up and not real.

OP for unpaid medical collections this is how you want to approach them

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for everyone's helpful words. Here is a breakdown of what is listed on my collections that I owe.  I don't have a credit card or loan or anything. I do have a $46 charge off from a bank as well but that is fraudulent so i am dealing with that in a different way.

Agency Type Amount Open Date
Torres Credit- Bank- $205- 4/9/2010
Stellar Rec.- Comcast -$1,005- 10/9/2014
State Collections -Hospital- $761- 3/11/2013
Penn Credit- Utility- $1,291- 6/19/2014
Fin Recovery -Hospital -$150- 8/2/2011
Enhanced Recovery- Comcast -$345- 6/5/2014
Moroney- PC Check- $185- 1/12/2011

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for everyone's helpful words. Here is a breakdown of what is listed on my collections that I owe.  I don't have a credit card or loan or anything. I do have a $46 charge off from a bank as well but that is fraudulent so i am dealing with that in a different way.

Agency Type Amount Open Date
Torres Credit- Bank- $205- 4/9/2010
Stellar Rec.- Comcast -$1,005- 10/9/2014
State Collections -Hospital- $761- 3/11/2013
Penn Credit- Utility- $1,291- 6/19/2014
Fin Recovery -Hospital -$150- 8/2/2011
Enhanced Recovery- Comcast -$345- 6/5/2014
Moroney- PC Check- $185- 1/12/2011

You need to add a few credit cards ASAP will most likely need to be secured, the first 3 opening will give you a Fico boost.    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Secured-Cards-Database/td-p/3846302

On the collections:

For unpaid medical debt:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

For non medical unpaid debt eliminate #3

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

Oh, the rebuild roller coaster, I know it well.  Don't get discouraged, it takes a bit.  There are ups and downs, but it is so worth it in the end.  Keep your chin up and keep going.

+1 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.