cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never agree to pay a debt unless they agree to remove from credit report in writing!

tag
AshCas
Regular Contributor

Re: Never agree to pay a debt unless they agree to remove from credit report in writing!

I never understand why people say "never agree to pay a debt unless they agree to remove..".  If you technically owe the debt, you should pay it, and if a CA is reporting an accurate debt, they're under no obligation to remove it. 

As said by others - PFD are a courtesy.  Demanding to get something it writing can def squash a deal..

Message 11 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Never agree to pay a debt unless they agree to remove from credit report in writing!

@AshCas wrote:

I never understand why people say "never agree to pay a debt unless they agree to remove..".  If you technically owe the debt, you should pay it, and if a CA is reporting an accurate debt, they're under no obligation to remove it. 

As said by others - PFD are a courtesy.  Demanding to get something it writing can def squash a deal..

You have a point!

But paying a collection/charge off, even in full, can hurt your score becasue of the DOLA. So its a catch 22.

BTW- I have been doing some research and I have yet to see someone with a PFD sucess unless it was a utility bill, medical bill, or some other type of collection not related to a banking loan/credit line/credit card.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Assume, for a moment, that all consumers refused to pay unless the adverse credit reporting was deleted, and most/all creditors and debt collectors complied.

Most major derogs would then no longer be of record in consumer credit files.

What value would pulling credit histories then have to creditors, and how would that skew the statistical data upon which scoring is based?

I guess it's OK if only "I" get subjective deletion, as long as a majority of others don't.

The policy of the CRAs that deletion should not be reported on the basis of payment of a debt has a purpose.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

But we dont live in that probable reality. In this reality, majority of people dont know anything about their consumer rights in the first place to even exercise their options. All I have to say is that there are rules, and there are exceptions to those rules...decide which one you play by, and play to win.

Message 14 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But we dont live in that probable reality. In this reality, majority of people dont know anything about their consumer rights in the first place to even exercise their options. All I have to say is that there are rules, and there are exceptions to those rules...decide which one you play by, and play to win.

+1

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 21
ando35
Frequent Contributor

If you do the right thing and pay the debt, they will keep it on your score for seven years and you'll pay higher interest rates to banks. Simple.

Message 16 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

@ando35 wrote:

If you do the right thing and pay the debt, they will keep it on your score for seven years and you'll pay higher interest rates to banks. Simple.

Paying the debt will not extend the 7 years. The 7 year starts from the DOFD not the DOLA.

Message 17 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@ando35 wrote:

+1 people in the low 600's and know nothing about how credit works are most likely to become victims of loan sharks. it happens everyday and its because they figured just buy paying an old debt it would go away.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 18 of 21
2NE1
Established Contributor

yes, that was certainly my case, I opened up few CCs in 2007 then around 2010 most went into CO due to hardship and car accident. I started getting bothered by CAs over the phone, first I would ignore them but once I started working full time I was told to pay off my debts in order to keep the job and so I did without knowing how much they were hurting my credit report cause I thought they would just "go away" I had no knowledge these type of collections were added on credit reports! Well after paying everything off I ended up losing my job since it required passing a background check for a clearance... it got denied (definitely cause of my previous bad debt). I could've easily had asked/pleaded CAs and OCs to delete if I would've known!

Smiley Sad

I'm currently going thru an appeal, hopefully I'll be hearing good news soon!
Message 19 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I actually forgot about this thread. I have one last collection on my reports from 2006. its just eating me alive looking at it and its due to fall off the reports may 2013. Im impatient and cant wait that long lol!  So if I send a pfd letter does that reset the clock and can they extend the CRTP if they deny my pfd offer. Im so scared to mess with this one cause its old and I certainly dont want to wake a lion on this one!  Thanks

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.