cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never heard from CA

tag
dbrowning

Never heard from CA

I am stunned on my report of the listing from CA's I never heard of or from. I have been at the same address 4 yrs and had forwarding from my home I lived in the proior 4.5  What do I do ? Do I send a Validation letter ? It was to my understanding, they had to contact me. Cell number is still the same after 9 yrs ? So it is not that I am not reachable ? All info is current on the CR and they have ran the CR ? Please advise

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Never heard from CA

@dbrowning wrote:

I am stunned on my report of the listing from CA's I never heard of or from. I have been at the same address 4 yrs and had forwarding from my home I lived in the proior 4.5  What do I do ? Do I send a Validation letter ? It was to my understanding, they had to contact me. Cell number is still the same after 9 yrs ? So it is not that I am not reachable ? All info is current on the CR and they have ran the CR ? Please advise

Treat them like any other CA, DV them to start. When a CA reports on your CR they have 5 days to send dunning letter even to an older address, unfortunately not much you can do about never having received dunning from them.. I would however add a caveat here if its not past your states SOL I would let sleeping dogs lay unless you are prepared to PIF.

Message 2 of 9
dbrowning

Thank you so much. I can not imagine why it would not forward. So I will evaluate it. 2 are past SOL. I will state with those. 1 I notice is ready to drop off next month. I should probabbly just leave it be.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are not obligated to provide any notice to the consumer prior to reporting their collection to a CRA. Reporting triggers their requirement to send dunning notice, but issues related to lack of dunning notice or of sending a DV have no effect on their proper reporting of the collection. The first question I would ask is whehter your recognize the debt as valid. If you question either the debt itself, its stated amount, sending a DV will provide you information as to its possible legitimacy. If you dont recognize the debt, then your DV should also include a request for the name of the original creditor, thus providing a possible memory jar. A DV is primarly a request to clarify the debt. However, if you recognize the debt as legitimate, you can most likely assume that they can validate. If you send a timely DV, the cease collection bar that it imposes will prevent you from any negotiations with them to pay the debt until they choose to respond. They have no period in which they most respond to a DV, so you would be in a state of limbo regading the debt until they choose to respond. Meanwhile, it sits in your credit report. Credit report exclusion only removes the collection from your credit report. It does not address the fact of an unpaid, delinquent debt. If you recognize the debt, then the usual approach is to offer a pay for deleteion (PFD), which if accepted, will result in both satisfaction of the debt and dletion from your credit report.
Message 4 of 9
dbrowning

Thank you for the replies.

I did call them,( I know everyone is rolling their eyes LOL ) I ask them who this was allegedly for , (original creditor) a date alleged amount. If it is mine it is mine I will defiantly deal with it. Comes back a utility bill ( electric) for the ex husband and my place from 1991 ? I said thank you for the info. I will send you a written letter to investigate this more and hung up. I will investigate how far this can go back. But believe it is long over. I have since had that utility company and nothing has ever came up from the past. But back then , yes the account was in both names. Confussing. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@dbrowning wrote:

Thank you for the replies.

I did call them,( I know everyone is rolling their eyes LOL ) I ask them who this was allegedly for , (original creditor) a date alleged amount. If it is mine it is mine I will defiantly deal with it. Comes back a utility bill ( electric) for the ex husband and my place from 1991 ? I said thank you for the info. I will send you a written letter to investigate this more and hung up. I will investigate how far this can go back. But believe it is long over. I have since had that utility company and nothing has ever came up from the past. But back then , yes the account was in both names. Confussing. Smiley Frustrated

1991..... Just send them a Cease & Desist no DV is even necessary this is "Zombie Debt".

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A C and D isn't going to help if they are illegally reporting  on your CR.  They need to remove that ASAP.

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

A C and D isn't going to help if they are illegally reporting  on your CR.  They need to remove that ASAP.=

You are correct I forgot that it was reporting... For this you will need to DV the CA and dispute it with the CRAs as a debt reporting past the 7 year statuatory time period, include that they stated to you that the original debt is from 1991.

Message 8 of 9
dbrowning

Thank you !

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.