Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never posted, but reading has helped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never posted, but reading has helped

This is my first post, but everyone else's posts and the great responses have helped.

I started my rebuilding journey on 6/23, and didn't realize how bad I had let things get.  I own a business, and have some assets, so I haven't had a big need for credit.  However, now I want to buy a new house, and this is when the rubber had to hit the road.  When I started, my scores were 514 (EQ), 543 (TU), AND 551 (EX).  A lot of baddies, from medical bills from 2007 and 2008, and some collections accounts caused by not being able to work when I was sick (consultant).  By following what I have read in the forums, I am happy to report that, as of today, I have the following, from a lender pull, 563 (EQ), 613 (TU), and 579 (EX).  With some help from the CRA, and explaining to the person on the phone my circumstances, the scores are have gone up and are still rising.

I had 11 baddies on one report, and slightly less on each of the other two.  I PFD'ed the ones that I could, which most of the CA's fought me, or just flat out said no.  However, when I paid the CA's tht refused to PFD, I waited 3 days, to make sure that it cleared my account, and then I disputed the item as paid, and submitted the conf. # with the dispute.  (A woman from one of the CRA's told me to do that, along with the time and date of payment, and who I spoke to)  Some of the baddies, who refused to PFD, deleted anyway, because of the proof.  She stated that it was because I had DV'ed them through dispute with the CRA, and they verified and updated after the date they had been paid.  So, the fact that I was able to prove they had done that was reason for deletion.

Now, I have the issue of having not used credit for so long, that I have to build up some more credit.  I have one CC (secured) with a $2500 limit, and I am trying to get util. down, but it is my only card.  I don't want to do another secured.  Can anyone recommend some unsecured CC's that I might qualify for now?

VERY VERY HAPPY.  Thanks to everyone!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never posted, but reading has helped

Research Navy Federal Credit Union. If you have a military background they are highly recommended. I was just approved for a $4000 CL unsecured credit card with them.

Message 2 of 3
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Never posted, but reading has helped

Unfortunately your scores still aren't high enough to qualify for anything but sub-prime cards at the moment.

You might consider apping for a secured Bank of America card for $500. It is really the only secured card that will unsecure in 1 year's time. It is not really the amount of your CL at this point, but that you have MORE positive credit reporting.

After you have the 2 secured cards reporting for a few months you should see positive improvements to your scores every month. Once your scores hit 650 apply for a Walmart card.

This is a very helpful website: http://www.whogavemecredit.com/

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.