cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Apartment - What credit level do most landlords require?

tag
mripguru
New Contributor

New Apartment - What credit level do most landlords require?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering - what does a landlord/rental agent usually require/look for in terms of a credit score in order to approve a lease on an apartment (say $1k/mo.)? I know this will vary and that there are other factors involved - but, I'm just looking for a general sense if I'm 'in the zone' at the present.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: New Apartment - What credit level do most landlords require?

That is not an easy question to answer.  It could go by the area you live in and the apartments criteria.  The best thing to do before applying is to call and ask what their requirements are.

The last time I applied, it wasn't my score so much but my credit history.  Did I make payments on time, was I ever evicted, did I leave owing money to a prior landlord etc.

Message 2 of 10
mripguru
New Contributor

That makes more sense -- and since the score is just a mathematical (numerical) represenation of all that's in your file.....

Message 3 of 10
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@mripguru wrote:

That makes more sense -- and since the score is just a mathematical (numerical) represenation of all that's in your file.....

Some places have a threshold of things they will look at.. like, is your score higher than XYC -- judgements or evictions ect?

When I was in my credit hole, my apartment at the time agreed to lease, but only if I did direct debit, showed 6 months of bank statements and paystubs,  and paid a full month security (when they were offering a 200 dollar security deal) -- my scores were 500 with an eviction.. some places wouldnt rent at all to me..

That was just my experience.. I agree with guniess, I believe the prime reason was my recent eviction..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 10
kroberts67
Established Contributor

In addition to credit req, they used to confirm that you earn 3x your rent.

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 5 of 10
SLbaddie
Valued Member

I've never lived in a high-end complex, but I have always had pretty bad credit and have never had any difficulty renting in California, Florida, and Ohio because they've always just been looking for evictions or unpaid renting related debts. That's the one financial arena I haven't screwed up in. I've always gotten the reduced deposits specials, too. 

Current Scores:                 Starting Scores:
EQ FICO 648 (7/22/14)     EQ FICO 575 (5/1/13)
TU FICO 678 (7/11/14)     TU FICO 558 (6/1/13)
EX FICO 641 (7/10/14)     EX FICO 570 (6/13/13)

Not much change yet, but it's coming!
Message 6 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

Every property management firm is different and has their own set of criteria. Also, it depends on the area you live in and the demand for apartments. Where I live there is a demand and people pay a premium for rentals. Becasue of this they weed out people with credit issues right off the bat.

Generally, most property managers have a credit threshold, require a certain income, and want you to have a clean eviction record.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 10
diva_1515
Valued Member

It's been my experience that landlords like to see good employment and past rental experience. I have run into some that didn't care about medical bills on the CR but wouldn't rent to you if you had past evictions or owed for utilities.

Message 8 of 10
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Usually they're looking for no broken leases, no evictions, no money owed to prior landlords/apartments. They also base your security deposit off your credit usually, lower deposit the better the credit. I dont think apartments really ever deny you unless you've broken a lease, been evicted, owe a landlord money or have felonies etc.

Message 9 of 10
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I moved in december and was concerned also.  It was actually what started my credit improvement journey.  So anyway. 

I pay 1200 a month and they management company did a HP on TU as well as verifing employement, salary etc.  I was around 640ish by the time I applied.  I was prepared to pay a deposit but was plesently surprized to not have to! 

Good luck with your move!

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.