cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Cap One Cash Rewards dropped my EQ score 13 points???

tag
cmelvin62
Established Member

New Cap One Cash Rewards dropped my EQ score 13 points???

I was approved for a this card in June (unsecured) and it reported today to EQ and EX so far. My EX score thru USAA did not change but my EQ did alot. I only have three cards since my BK and this is the first unsecured. I also have pending disputes (4) with EQ right now. Could this be why my score dropped so much? I used the new card right away because I wanted to show utilization and earn the rewards. The CL is 2k and I used $476 which shows on my report. My credit limits total 3.4k. My intention is to use this card for all of my daily things so as to show I use it then pay in full each month. I'm trying so hard to recover and rebuild from the BK with hopes to be able to get preapproval for a mortgage after my 2 yr discharge date in Dec. I have learned so much from these boards and thought I was on the right track. Now I'm scared. Can anyone share some advise please?  Thank you for reading my post. Cmelvin   

Starting Score EQ 568 EX 638 TU602
Current Score: EQ NFCU 68810/12 TU MyFico 9/12 678 EX USAA 660 10/12
Goal Score: 700 middle
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: New Cap One Cash Rewards dropped my EQ score 13 points???

Opening a new credit card or loan will almost always drop your score as the "model" sees it as added risk. As ymmv, points will almost always return in six to twelve months, assuming no other account changes and on time payments.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 4
livingfree
New Contributor

My score decreased by 40 points when I was disputing with Equifax.  It recovered about 30 after the dispute.  So hopefully you'll be okay.

5/13/13 EQ 636 (Myfico), TU 660 lender pull , EX 640 lender pull
Barclay Rewards MC $2300, Cap One $750, Walmart $800, Macys $2000, Lane Bryant $600.
Message 3 of 4
cmelvin62
Established Member

drpooed 40 points then up 30-how long did it take to go back up? 6-12 months is a long time right or am I dreaning because I thought my score would maybe go down a few points then immediatly go up once my payment show-all I have is 3 revolving accounts-no mix yet. Thank you so much for your advise. Should I just sit back and wait-that is so hard to do you know...

Starting Score EQ 568 EX 638 TU602
Current Score: EQ NFCU 68810/12 TU MyFico 9/12 678 EX USAA 660 10/12
Goal Score: 700 middle
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.