Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collection Account

tag
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

New Collection Account

Just got a SW alert of a new CA reporting to my CR. The item was reported on 2/1/14 from GC Services with a balance of $96 and DOFD 3/1/13. A couple of questions:

1. The TL does not list an OC. (The only thing I can think of at the top of my head this might be is an old PGE electric bill from when I moved out of my last apt in California.)
  2. Since the item was posted (reported) on 2/1, am I within the 30 day timeframe for a timely DV if I mail today?

On an unrelated side note, my EX FICO went up from 509 to 522 despite this addition.

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Collection Account

@NWintellectual wrote:

Just got a SW alert of a new CA reporting to my CR. The item was reported on 2/1/14 from GC Services with a balance of $96 and DOFD 3/1/13. A couple of questions:

1. The TL does not list an OC. (The only thing I can think of at the top of my head this might be is an old PGE electric bill from when I moved out of my last apt in California.)
  2. Since the item was posted (reported) on 2/1, am I within the 30 day timeframe for a timely DV if I mail today?

On an unrelated side note, my EX FICO went up from 509 to 522 despite this addition.

Send the DV ASAP and get the jump on them, the 30 day period runs when they send you something in the mail not from its appearance on your CR.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New Collection Account

The requirement for a debt collector to send dunning notice is intended primarily to address the dilimma you are in.... an asserted debt, with lack of any information from then to assist you in identification of the debt.

They are requried to have sent dunning notice within 5 days of their reporting, which must have provided you with te name of the current owner, along with advisement of rights to request debt vlaidation.

If the OC still owns the debt, they would be required to provide their identity within the dunning notice.

You can send a request for debt valid\tion at any time prior to receipt of dunning notice, or within 39 days of receipt of dunning notice, that will invoke a cease collection bar on them until they have provided the requested valid\tion.  A DV request can also include a request for the name of the original creditor, regardless of whether the OC still owns the debt.  Since you apparently need that info to evaluate the debt, be sure to specfically request the name of the OC in your DV.

You might also consider filing a formal complaint with the CFPB over lack of timely dunning notice, sending a cc: to the debt collector.

That will get their attention, and require them to explain their lack of compliance to the CFPB

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.