Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collection Confusion> Please help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Collection Confusion> Please help

This account popped on my Credit report about a month ago. I disputed as uknown account, and then experien updated it today as a closed collection included in my chapter 7 bankruptcy in June 2014.

What throws me off was before I dusputed it was an open collection, I dont recall this being in my BK, and look at the dates.

It says the account opened 9/15

Date of status 6/14

Last Reported 11/15

Term: 1 Month

Accont Status: Discharged through Chap 7 Bankruptcy/

Can anyone provide some clarity on this or even what I should do? 

Item Detail

Dispute this item
ENTERPRISE RECOVERY SYST

Address:
 2000 YORK RD STE 114
  OAK BROOK, IL 60523
 (630) 574-3113
Account Number:

Original Creditor:
WAYNE STATE UNIV

Address Identification Number:

Discharged through Bankruptcy Chapter 7.

Date Opened:
09/2015
Date of Status:
06/2014
Reported Since:
11/2015
Last Reported Date:
11/2015

Type:
Collection
Terms:
1 Months 
Monthly Payment:
$0
Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$7,282
High Balance:
N/A 
Recent Balance:
$0
Recent Payment:
$0

Account History:

Debt included in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on June 24, 2014

Your Statement:

N/A
Add a statement

©Experian 2015. All rights reserved.
Experian and the marks used herein are service marks or registered trademarks of Experian.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Collection Confusion> Please help

There are actually some bottom feeders that will buy and sell BK discharged debt. I have no idea how its legal to do so, but they do.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are apparently asserting that they had collection authority on the delinquent debt prior to its discharge.

The date opened for a collection is normally reported as the date they received collection authority.

Thus, there is a disconnect in their reporting, as it is unclear as to what "status" their collection had back prior to discharge of your BK if they had not yet obtained collection authoriyt on the debt.

I would dispute the accuracy of their reporting, asserting as the basis their reporting that they did not receive collection authority until after the debt no longer existed, and thus they had no active collection authority at any time when you had the debt.  That will compel an explanation of when they obtained collection authority.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for clarification and a path to take. I have re-disputed the item this morning using the language you proposed above.  I will keeo you updated on the result.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.