Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collection on DW's Perfect Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Collection on DW's Perfect Report

So my wife's credit just went from a 724 to 694 due to a new collection account. We stayed at a local bed and breakfast when we were back home (live across the country). We paid half the fee when we booked and signed for the other half to be charged upon our arrival for the remaining maybe $65-70? Well they apparently never charged her card, then almost a year and a half later it shows up on her credit report in collections. We didn't receive any sort of notice from this agency, which on their website it says within 30 days of first mailing it won't report, but what if they have the wrong address or an old one? I don't want to contact them quite yet and say oh yeah that's ours, then it's stuck for 7 years.. we did everything we were supposed to and then got screwed... again, her report has perfect payment history since she started building credit 5 years ago..

What can we do to get this removed? Should we dispute it first then try for a PFD if that doesn't work? Should we contact them, explain the situation and try for PFD first?

Unfortunately, I doubt we have our receipt as this was, as we thought, a simple stay at a bed and breakfast..

Thank you in advance for any help!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Collection on DW's Perfect Report

@Anonymous wrote:
So my wife's credit just went from a 724 to 694 due to a new collection account. We stayed at a local bed and breakfast when we were back home (live across the country). We paid half the fee when we booked and signed for the other half to be charged upon our arrival for the remaining maybe $65-70? Well they apparently never charged her card, then almost a year and a half later it shows up on her credit report in collections. We didn't receive any sort of notice from this agency, which on their website it says within 30 days of first mailing it won't report, but what if they have the wrong address or an old one? I don't want to contact them quite yet and say oh yeah that's ours, then it's stuck for 7 years.. we did everything we were supposed to and then got screwed... again, her report has perfect payment history since she started building credit 5 years ago..

What can we do to get this removed? Should we dispute it first then try for a PFD if that doesn't work? Should we contact them, explain the situation and try for PFD first?

Unfortunately, I doubt we have our receipt as this was, as we thought, a simple stay at a bed and breakfast..

Thank you in advance for any help!

You had an agreement with the OC you start with them and remind them of it. I am stunned that a B&B even uses a CA, no one usually gets in unless its paid in full, shoddy operations and stupidity reign at this one.

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, which we thought we paid in full when we signed the final receipt for them to charge. It was holiday season, plus travel, simply overlooked that it never actually got charged, which in our opinion is not our problem since we gave them everything they needed, especially this far past our stay! We were absolutely stunned today when it showed up. So clearly someone working there blew it. I will be calling them in the morning to request they recall the collection.

I'm assuming I should get all of this in writing before I pay them?
Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Exactly, which we thought we paid in full when we signed the final receipt for them to charge. It was holiday season, plus travel, simply overlooked that it never actually got charged, which in our opinion is not our problem since we gave them everything they needed, especially this far past our stay! We were absolutely stunned today when it showed up. So clearly someone working there blew it. I will be calling them in the morning to request they recall the collection.

I'm assuming I should get all of this in writing before I pay them?

In writing is the gold standard but dont let it stop you, if they agree to recall and they should with no problem in this case its just as enforcable as one in writing.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok awesome. I appreciate your help! I will update when I hear anything.
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have an issue of  billing related dispute on a credit card.

That entitles you to a dispute under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), which is more comprehensive than the dispute of reltaed credit reporting under the FCRA.

It gets into requirement s to provide proofs that are not part of the FCRA dispute process.

Check out the FTC web page for info on the FCBA dispute process.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to update: We PFDed successfully, it was incredibly easy. Just waiting for the credit bureaus to update! Thanks for everything

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to update: We PFDed successfully, it was incredibly easy. Just waiting for the credit bureaus to update! Thanks for everything

Did you get an explanation from the B&B as to how it happened and why you never heard from them on a collection attempt.

That's bad luck.  Most hotels don't collect.  We just bad debt on skipped payments.  It isn't worth the hassle.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it was crazy.. they said that there was an issue with the credit card machine and it would run the card, approve it, but not take the money.. FOR ALMOST A YEAR! Anyone they couldn't get ahold of they sent to collections! They just wanted to make everything right. I told them that was absurd and they needed a new accountant haha. But regardless, it is taken care of.

Message 9 of 10
ah32
Frequent Contributor

That's an absurd way to do business. Not everyone is on top of what's on their credit report. They could get poor rates or denials for errors like this. I say yelp them and leave a negative review of your experience. This is crazy. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.