Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Collections Reported

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Collections Reported

Hi all!  I have been working hard to improve my credit.  I had made it into the high 600's a few months ago and was feeling very excited about getting prepared to purchase my first home.  Today I checked my credit report and was crushed to see my score in the low 500's.  After looking at my credit report I discovered 4 new collections.  Two utility companies and two cell phone companies.  These are not my debts, I was never notified of these debts and they are obviously some type of fraud.  My question is how do I begin to dispute them.  Should I attempt to call or send a debt verification letter?  I'm not sure how to proceed, any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Collections Reported

Read the id fraud section. Basically file a police report, contact each reported group and get as much information as possible  and then file a dispute with a copy of the police report.  

Message 2 of 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

You don't need to contact the creditors to file an ID theft dispute. Under that provision the creditors is not involved. File a police report and send that to the CRA's
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have to but you can get a lot of useful information that put id theift to an end once and for all otherwise  you go go through this many times.  We have been through this many times not with theift but profiles comingled. Another person not to far from here has similar  name, birthdate (very close) and is in the same line of work as DW. The other other person has terrible credit. Atleast once 1 time a year the other woman's credit gets in DW file. We know so much information about her we can now get it fixed from the creditor on one phone call...   My favorite was the repo guy who didn't believe me but I nailed for FDCA it cost him $1,000 for DW and $5,000 for my consumer attorney. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.