Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card Help!!

tag
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

New Credit Card Help!!

Hello!

I was approved for a Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card with a 300 CL.  WOOT WOOT!!  I am very excited since this is another step in the right direction on me rebuilding my credit.  My question is how do I manage the card to best maximize my chance in a score boost on a monthly basis?  I want to make sure I don't mess this up.  My bf added me as an AU on his BofA account and that is reporting on all 3 of my reports so thats a positive tradeline for me as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!

Starting Scores: EQ 513, TU 547, EX 563
Current Scores: EQ 686 FICO TU 684
Goal Score: 700+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Credit Card Help!!

@GettinCreditSavy wrote:

Hello!

I was approved for a Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card with a 300 CL.  WOOT WOOT!!  I am very excited since this is another step in the right direction on me rebuilding my credit.  My question is how do I manage the card to best maximize my chance in a score boost on a monthly basis?  I want to make sure I don't mess this up.  My bf added me as an AU on his BofA account and that is reporting on all 3 of my reports so thats a positive tradeline for me as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on the approval. You can use this card as much as you want during the month (of course not going over the limit  Smiley Happy  ) but make sure that the balance that shows on your monthly statement is less than 9% of your credit limit because revolving utilization is calculated by whatever the statement balance is. In your case that's no more than $27.

I know that's not very much to work with but you can make payments to Cap 1 all during the month before the statement hits. Just make sure you time your payments so that your balance is that desired <$27 several days before the statement date. Then always pay the balance in full before the due date to avoid any finance charges.

You'll need to find out when your particular account posts it's statement each month in order to do this.

I would do my research and try and get a second card in 6-12 months. Don't apply for a card just because you can but try and get one that will grow with you. Once you get that second card have only one of your cards report that <9% utilization every month and have the other card always report a zero balance.

As for you be added as an AU it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a Cap1 card that is $750 limit. I use it heaviliy but pay it several times a month to make sure that when the statement cuts I have low (less then 9% utilization). BAsically, you just need to use it to illustrate some good payment history and build your score back up. 

Message 3 of 9
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Thank you guys very much!!  I will be sure to do follow these steps!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Also, is it typical for your score to drop when you obtain new credit?

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@GettinCreditSavy wrote:

Also, is it typical for your score to drop when you obtain new credit?

Yes it is but exactly how much it drops varies from person to person. Generally whatever dings happen with new credit your scores should recover in 6-12 months.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 9
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Ok thanks!  Wish it didn't take so long to rebound, but I guess its apart of the process.  I will just be sure to garden what I have!

Message 7 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

You usually get a jump for the first card, a little less for the second, etc when you're starting from 0 cards.  Since you essentially have 2 cards (yours and your bf's), I'd keep this one reporting 0 unless he keeps his card reporting 0. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Thanks for replying Mauve.  He normally keeps his card reporting zero for the most part, so I will try the utlization tips and see how that works. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.