Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ding...When should I pay it.

tag
kmksga
Valued Member

New Ding...When should I pay it.

I had automatic payments on my home phone bill.  When I turned off service last year to move out of state I ended up with a refund check from the phone company.  I had payments deducted as late as the month after I disconnected service.

Today I got a ding on my report for unpaid amount.  When I called they said the refund was for the internet and that once I closed the account the auto pay stopped.  I never received any billing.  The only closing info I got was the check.

I don't really think it's worth the fight...in the end I will have to pay it.  My question is:

***If the ding just showed up today and I pay it today how much damage will it do to my credit score  vs not paying it for a while ???

Any advice is appreciated....I am fuming...part of me just doesn't want to pay it....kind of a spite thing...I know I owe it I just don't like how it was handled !!!

January 2011: EQ 674, Exp 681, TU 671
February 2010: EQ 573, Exp 579, TU 542
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: New Ding...When should I pay it.

How is the ding reported? Is it listed as a late payment on and open trade line or a collection account?

If it is a collection account, the only way it won't hurt is to have it removed. If you pay it, it will still report and count the same in the FICO model.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 6
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

If i was you, i would start with sending debt validation letters...

If you dont pay it now compared waiting to pay it in say 10 months, you wont see much of a difference if any.

In addition to that, if they come back and its validated, i would then start sending them PFD letters...

Getting them to agree to delete it with payment

Send all mail Certified mail read receipt requested.

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

FICO-wise, there's no difference if you pay it off now or not pay it. Whether the OC or CA is reporting, $0 balance charge-offs or CAs are equally as damaging as one with a balance.  ETA...that's not an endorsement not to pay. I personally would pay it via a PFD attempt or pay it outright if a PFD fails.

Message 4 of 6
kmksga
Valued Member

It says Unpaid....and it is with a collection company.

Message 5 of 6
kmksga
Valued Member

I don't dispute that I should pay it and I'm the type that will pay it....just annoyed how it was done...I like the feedback...I appears I have the time to really pursue it before I hand them the money because the damage is already done.

Thanks for all the feedback...made me feel better !!!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.