cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here. Hoping to repair credit enough for home purchase.

tag
Cubist
New Contributor

New Here. Hoping to repair credit enough for home purchase.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hello and get some opinions on how my credit repair/ rebuilding is looking.

I'm 35 and I've had my share of credit downfalls. Irresponsible credit card use in college, collections when I was younger, not realizing how important it was to build my credit back up, etc.

We are renting a house that is in forclosure & I'm hoping to repair my credit enough to purchase a home before that happens. When I decided to start working on my credit score, I got myself a Capital One secured card ($200 limit) & I think I'm up to 16 months of payment history with them. I have a single late payment (30 days) back in June which I have asked Capital One to remove as a courtesy & they agreed. My partner had just been diagnosed with cancer & had two surgeries in 3 months A few of the bills just slipped my mind around that time. Four months ago I opened an Old Navy card account (I was pretty suprised when I was approved in-store. I honestly didn't hink I would be. Unfortunately, I just recently learned the importance of utilization rates... Up until recently, I charged pretty close to the limit on both cards and then paid them in full every month. 

Aside from the one late Capital One payment, I have a couple negative marks that I'm having trouble clearing up:

I have a civil court judgement from 2008. A previous land lord sued me & won. The judgement has been paid in full, but it is not reporting as such. I have disputed the inacuary to Experian, but it was not updated. 

I also have an acocunt with Verizon which went into collections. This one is a bit tricky. I currently have a verizon account but there was some osrt of error made at some point which created a second account without me knowing. The first account was closed without payment & I was never billed for it. Once I was made aware of the account, I paid it off & it reports as being paid on the CRBs, but is there some sort of way to make it go away? Looking at the payment history on the account, it looks horrible to me. No payments were made on it because I didn't know it existed. 

That's it really. I have no collections, no charge offs, no bankruptcies. But my positive credit history is limited. My FICO score is probably around 620-640 currently. I have a stable work history & about 10K in savings, but I'm having a hard time raising my credit scores. Perhaps I'm just too impatient, or perhaps the high balances have hurt me. Should I try to increase my credit lines, or should I just use them very little? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm hoping I won't make things worse by tryomg to help things along.

VS- $500, BarclayCard - $1200, Lowes - $5000, Old Navy - $1400, CapOne - $200, Chase Freedom - $1200
Started My credit rebuilding 11/2012 (stating scores in the low/ mid-500s)
Current scores - EQ 690. TU 724, EQ 719
Closed on my first home 7/25/2013!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH MyFico!
Gardening until 3/1/2014
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: New Here. Hoping to repair credit enough for home purchase.

@Cubist wrote:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hello and get some opinions on how my credit repair/ rebuilding is looking.

I'm 35 and I've had my share of credit downfalls. Irresponsible credit card use in college, collections when I was younger, not realizing how important it was to build my credit back up, etc.

We are renting a house that is in forclosure & I'm hoping to repair my credit enough to purchase a home before that happens. When I decided to start working on my credit score, I got myself a Capital One secured card ($200 limit) & I think I'm up to 16 months of payment history with them. I have a single late payment (30 days) back in June which I have asked Capital One to remove as a courtesy & they agreed. My partner had just been diagnosed with cancer & had two surgeries in 3 months A few of the bills just slipped my mind around that time. Four months ago I opened an Old Navy card account (I was pretty suprised when I was approved in-store. I honestly didn't hink I would be. Unfortunately, I just recently learned the importance of utilization rates... Up until recently, I charged pretty close to the limit on both cards and then paid them in full every month. 

Aside from the one late Capital One payment, I have a couple negative marks that I'm having trouble clearing up:

I have a civil court judgement from 2008. A previous land lord sued me & won. The judgement has been paid in full, but it is not reporting as such. I have disputed the inacuary to Experian, but it was not updated. Who did you pay?  The creditor, attorney?  They, by law, only have so long to report it paid to the courts.  Contact the clerk and see if they show it satisfied.  If they don't you have an issue with the creditor and/or attorney

I also have an acocunt with Verizon which went into collections. This one is a bit tricky. I currently have a verizon account but there was some osrt of error made at some point which created a second account without me knowing. The first account was closed without payment & I was never billed for it. Once I was made aware of the account, I paid it off & it reports as being paid on the CRBs, but is there some sort of way to make it go away? Looking at the payment history on the account, it looks horrible to me. No payments were made on it because I didn't know it existed. Contact Verizon and see if they will delete it due to the circumstances.

That's it really. I have no collections, no charge offs, no bankruptcies. But my positive credit history is limited. My FICO score is probably around 620-640 currently. I have a stable work history & about 10K in savings, but I'm having a hard time raising my credit scores. Perhaps I'm just too impatient, or perhaps the high balances have hurt me. Should I try to increase my credit lines, or should I just use them very little? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm hoping I won't make things worse by tryomg to help things along.

If those are your only negatives it isn't really too bad.  They are all paid.  Getting that judgement to show paid and then if your state allows it, having it vacated will be a big plus.

Yes, utilization is very important.  Have one card report 0 and the other at 9% or below for optimum FICO scoring.

Message 2 of 5
Cubist
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I paid the civil judgment via wage garnishment. $7900 worth. I received a letter from my HR rep which is when I was first made aware of the suit & the judgment. I did not have an attorney. I never even went to court. I guess a call to the court is in order. 

VS- $500, BarclayCard - $1200, Lowes - $5000, Old Navy - $1400, CapOne - $200, Chase Freedom - $1200
Gardening until 3/1/2014
Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I was actually talking about the attorney for the judgment.  They are the ones that would have filed a writ of garnishment.  Do you know who they are?  I would contact them ASAP. 

Did you get a default judgment?  If I may ask, was it a CC or something?  Just wondering.  If you were not properly served it is possible to get it vacated based on that.

Yes, contact the clerk and find out.

Message 4 of 5
Cubist
New Contributor

I do have some paperwork with the attorney's info. Once I got the letter from my HR rep, I called around and got copies of the judgment & the paperwork where the garnishment was filed as well. I was never notified that I was being sued, or that a judgment had been made. 

The suit was from an old land lord. I had moved out prior to fulfilling the lease terms and although we had made a verbal agreement & I moved out on what I thought were good terms, he sued me for the remainder of the lease afterward. I learned my lesson on that one for sure! Having the whole thing vacated would be ideal.

Gardening until 3/1/2014
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.