cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here.. Need some help with Geico/Merrick

tag
lisa4856

New Here.. Need some help with Geico/Merrick

I have been rebuilding my credit for 3 years now. I have my FICO score up from 550 to 653. I paid off all my collection accounts besides Geico 3 years ago. Since then I have received 4 credit cards and a 344,000 conventional 30 year mortgage. My problem is that Geico/Merrick is still on my report as Charge Off. It reports every month as a new charge off account so it looks new everyone which keeps my score from going higher (it is actually a debt that was charged off in 2008 so not so new). The major problem is that when I went for my mortgage the underwriter required me to pay this account off. Sounds easy, right? Not so much. When I called Geico to pay it off I was told they no longer owned the debt and it was sold to Sage Collection. When I asked them why they were still reporting it and reporting it new every month I was told they could not answer my questions as they  no longer owned the file.  No collection agency is reporting the debt on my report. Just Geico itself but they claim they no longer own it so I cannot pay them off. I am at a loss of what to do.  How can Geico report the default as new every month yet claim they no longer have access to the file because it was sold??

I gave my lender's credit analyst permission to speak with Geico on my behalf as I had no idea what to do as I could not clear the condition and pay Geico. After speaking with Geico the lender contacted me and said they did not understand what was going on with the report as they were told the same thing that it was sold. In the end, the lender removed the condition of me paying that account off.

Now, I appled for Chase Freedom and was told I was rejected due to a recent deliquency with Geico on November 9, 2013 (the day I called Geico to pay them off)... Again, this card was charged off and closed in 2008.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this straighted out?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: New Here.. Need some help with Geico/Merrick

If this can be considered inaccurate information, couldn't the OP dispute the charge with all three CRAs?

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is very possible that whe GEICO sold the debt they inturn forgot to update the account from the media they use to update the CRAs with.

Call them back and ask to speak to the business office and then to credit reporting.  Let them know what you suspect.

If that gets you nowhere, file a direct dispute with them as they cannot continue reporting lates on an account they do not own.  They will have to do something to get to the bottom of it or face violations.

Message 3 of 7
WeatherNut
New Visitor

Hello - We're sorry you're having these issues. Are you on Facebook? If so, please send a private message to GEICO with your contact information through GEICO's FB page: Mod Cut We'll have someone get in touch with you to sort through this. Alternatively you can tweet us at @Geico_Service.

Message 4 of 7
Startome
Regular Contributor

@WeatherNut wrote:

Hello - We're sorry you're having these issues. Are you on Facebook? If so, please send a private message to GEICO with your contact information through GEICO's FB page Mod cut We'll have someone get in touch with you to sort through this. Alternatively @Anonymous can tweet us at @Geico_Service.

Never seen a company do that before. lol

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 5 of 7
lisa4856

Thank you. I will contact you through Facebook. I would really like to get this settled.

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@lisa4856 wrote:

Thank you. I will contact you through Facebook. I would really like to get this settled.

Ignore weathernut's post, IMO. That poster was referring to Geico, the insurance company. Geico didn't issue the card but it was Merrick. YOu'd want to contact them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.