Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here: PFD BENEFICIAL Bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Here: PFD BENEFICIAL Bank?

Hello, I have been monitoring the boards for the last few months, while trying to create a solid plan for rebuilding my credit. I have a Collection account from Benefiticial bank in the amount of $5000. I was thinking about offering them a PIF for a PFD. Has anyone had any success with a PFD with Beneifical Bank? If so, how did you do it? I stopped paying the account in June 2008 (I think) but I called them to talk about the account in June 2010. How do I verify the last activity on the account to see if the SOL have expired or are still in place? I live in PA where the SOL is 4 years.... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Here: PFD BENEFICIAL Bank?

Bump.  Looking for help - anyone have words of wisdom?

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
How do I verify the last activity on the account to see if the SOL have expired or are still in place? I live in PA where the SOL is 4 years.... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

The DOFD is the basis for the SOL clock. This is when you first went late and never recovered. If you did not make a payment since that time and/or make an acknowledgement that the debt is yours, then add 4 years for SOL to that DOFD and that's when SOL expired or will expire. In some states, SOL can restart if you pay on a debt or make any sort of promise to pay or even acknowledge the debt. YMMV on PA's laws.

ETA....if you have 100% saved up, then SOL is unimportant anyway because you could pay it to avert a judgment. In other words, if you were planning to send a PFD, then don't sweat SOL.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help! Do you advise writing with a PFD or calling? Should I offer less than the full amount or does the full amount make it more desireable for a PFD? Has anyone had a successful PFD with Beneficial? I was stupid and cashed a check that they sent us during hard times. I then couldn't repay and its hurting us now. I'm prepared to repay, but I'd like for it to have a minimal negative impact, if possible.
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Always send a PFD offer in writing. Some have done so verbally, and accepted the OC/CA's word verbally only to be burned because a CSR didn't recall that conversation. Some have called in a PFD request and asked for a response in writing, only to get a response back not compliant with the PFD request. Now if it's an OC, and there's a level of trust there, then, IMO, there's nothing wrong with a call here or there, but always get it in writing first.

If you offer 100% or less, then that's your call. IMO, I'd rather offer 100% and move on. If they are open to PFDs, your odds at 100% are better than the odds of 50%, for example. Plus, I always wanted to offer 100% because I didn't want to be in a position to start at 50% or wherever, and have to back-track with a counter at 60%, 70%, etc. My need to get the baddie off immediately outweighed any savings.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.