cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here, Trying to Figure out What to do first.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Here, Trying to Figure out What to do first.

So my wife and I are trying to rebuild/build credit in order to hopefully get a house in 1-2 years. Right now my score is very low and I am not sure where to start on what to begin to fix it. I will give a brief view of what my credit report looks like now and hopefully you can help give me some info on where to start.

I have one credit card that I am an authorized user on which is my wifes capital one secured card. They are reporting a 30 day late but we do not remember being late but from reading know this should start taking less effect after a year and there is nothing we can really do about that until then.

Now I have medical bill collections-

One from 03/09 for $427

One from 1/11 for $668

One from 11/11 for $422

and one from 08/12 for $53 which I do not know how that got on there as I paid a huge amount off to the hospital and they said I was all paid off but I guess it must have been from somewhere. I sent a pay for delete letter for this one and I am hoping to hear back soon. If not I am just going to pay now either way.

I also have one other collection 01/2009 from comcast that I tried disputing but my computer messed up when I tried disputing it through transunion (and annualcreditreport.com) and I am not going to pay again right now just to dispute the amount. But I had paid last year I believe the amount they told me was owed which was $151 at the time. I paid it off and assumed it was good it would start reporting as paid but now I look again and it says the new balance is $400 and says I haven't paid anything. I am very confused as to why this is happening and what I can do about it.

Other then that I have way to many inquiries from not knowing how much they affect the score and trying to get a card of my own from somewhere as well as applying for a car loan (didn't end up needing we were given a car from my wifes dad who had numerous unused ones).

So basically I have a very limited credit (even the credit card I am an authorized user on isn't a year old yet) and way to many collections but mostly medical collections due to medical emergencies. So where should I start?  What do I need to do. My grandmother is willing to help co-sign for us on pretty much anything (we haven't asked but she keeps saying she will do it cause she knows we have no credit really) but I would like to try and do this on our own first.

Thank you for your time and if you read all the way through that an even bigger thank you.

Hunter

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: New Here, Trying to Figure out What to do first.

You need to know your fico score. Buy it from here, its the only place you will get it. Negotiate pfds on the medical bills. Goodwill the 30-day late on the cc. Depending on what your scores are you can either open a secured or unsecured cc to help you start rebuilding. Don't apply for any cards without doing research on this site first because there are a lot of bad ones. And by this site I mean the forums, not the advertising on myfico.

. Send a dv by certified mail return receipt to the ca for Comcast. Depending on their answer, you can probably negotiate a pfd, maybe not even paying in full.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe my transunion score when I got it was 533. Which isn't going to be able to get me any credit card. I will start working on the collections though. thank you.

Message 3 of 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

You can try and get secured credit cards with your scores,

You always have First Premier but their rates and fees are high. But it will still help your rebuilding process.

You can do your research on the HIPPA process for your medical bills, as its not something discussed on this forum.

You can improve your credit considerably in 2 years and many have in much less time. 

Do lots of research on this site there is great valuable information you will obtain that will help you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.