cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here and Rebuilding my Credit, I'm a bit Freaked!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Here and Rebuilding my Credit, I'm a bit Freaked!

Hello,

new here and just found this site. My name is Janet..(Jevillains is wrong..suppose to be jdvillains)... So, I had filed a bankruptcy 6/7 years ago, and I'm used to paying cash. About 4 months ago I got a capital one credit card...$300 CL. I have been for the most part doing 1/3 of the card, and been paying in full making payments when I get my pay.

well, I have been making sure to pay all my utilizes etc monthly on time, and on July 28th without even trying, I managed to get a car loan for $35,000 dollars to get my Dodge Ram truck. I have to admit I am still in shock over this one! Now, the other day in the mail I got a pre-approval from Walmart. I've been careful who to apply to being I do not want any HI on my credit. It was 4 am, I said what the hell.....I was approved said card will be here in 7-10 days. This is totally freaking me out. Does this seem like I am starting to turn my credit around? And I am afraid, this is my last chance to keep my credit going forward. I can afford the cards I have now.....and my truck. But I do have a spending issue, and I really do not want to screw this up, I'm 55!

i do however have big student loans......I'm a grad student and I do work at a university ..the loan people told me keep going to school till I hit 65.not sure why.... But I'm a little stuck. Any advice how to make sure I can keep on the straight and narrow? Student loans?... I should say I am on disability, and work part time.

thanks for any help!

~J

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Here and Rebuilding my Credit, I'm a bit Freaked!

If you have a spending issue and don't trust yourself don't apply for anything you think you will get in trouble with. Work on discipline and self control.
Message 2 of 5
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

new here and just found this site. My name is Janet..(Jevillains is wrong..suppose to be jdvillains)... So, I had filed a bankruptcy 6/7 years ago, and I'm used to paying cash. About 4 months ago I got a capital one credit card...$300 CL. I have been for the most part doing 1/3 of the card, and been paying in full making payments when I get my pay.

well, I have been making sure to pay all my utilizes etc monthly on time, and on July 28th without even trying, I managed to get a car loan for $35,000 dollars to get my Dodge Ram truck. I have to admit I am still in shock over this one! Now, the other day in the mail I got a pre-approval from Walmart. I've been careful who to apply to being I do not want any HI on my credit. It was 4 am, I said what the hell.....I was approved said card will be here in 7-10 days. This is totally freaking me out. Does this seem like I am starting to turn my credit around? And I am afraid, this is my last chance to keep my credit going forward. I can afford the cards I have now.....and my truck. But I do have a spending issue, and I really do not want to screw this up, I'm 55!

i do however have big student loans......I'm a grad student and I do work at a university ..the loan people told me keep going to school till I hit 65.not sure why.... But I'm a little stuck. Any advice how to make sure I can keep on the straight and narrow? Student loans?... I should say I am on disability, and work part time.

thanks for any help!

~J

Janet, so now you have 1 installment loan, and 2 credit cards,,,,that is enough for you to get a good start. Pay the car on time every month. Take one of the cards with the lowest cl and put it in your sock drawer and keep it at a 0 balance. Use the other card as needed, but pay the balance on it down to <9% of the credit limit prior to the statement cutting. Now wait untill 2 days before due date and PIF. All this is to show card use, but not allow anything but very low utilization showing when it reports.In about 3 months ask for CLI on both cards. In about 3 more months apply for a better credit card...maybe capital one quicksilver rewards...not the one with annual fee. Repeat with what I would hope will then be your new highest cl card, leaving the other 2 with zero balance. Keep low utilization low on the highest credit limit card for about 6 more months. Now your credit score should be high enough to get more desirable cards such as citi double cash. I do not know when the BK falls off because you never said if ch 7 or ch 13....but if you are careful you could have mid to high 700's scores the day the BK drops off...maybe 750-780.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, and thanks for your replies! Sarge12, my capital one card is the quicksilver one. I love this card! Lol... What I have been doing is using it for daily stuff I pay cash for, food...gas. Then I have been taking that money and paying on it. For my truck, I have direct deposit for both work and SSDI, so I am doing an autopay, so it is two weeks early every month. Just did my first payment. I do get school money every 10 weeks, so my plan is to make double payments when I can ...when I get that school money, I want to pay it off sooner.

a few times I have slipped and bought on a urge, but I make sure to keep sales slips, and have ended up returning. Also, if I get the urge for online shopping....I put that item in the cart....and wait. I wait till the urge does pass me. This has worked so far, that and the fact...I need my credit back! Soon I will not have any help, or backup plan( like my dad helping me) so I am determined and focused.

thanks again! I'll be watching and reading all here!!

Message 4 of 5
stellar
Established Contributor

Get your credit reports and see what's' on them and your scores, real FICO scores if you can.

Sign up for creditkarma to get free equifax and transunion credit reports, ignore the scores.

Or can get your 3 credit reports free once a year at annualcreditreport.com

You can get your credit reports and FICO scores at credit check total for a $1 trial...cancel before 7 days is up.

The reason they told you to stay in school is because you don't have to make payments on student loans when you're in school.  They're deferred until 6 months out of school.

Good Luck, you've come to the right place for advice/encouragement! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.