Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here and need some help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Here and need some help

Im new to the forum and need some advise concerning a credit card issue.

In 2005 my son opened a Best Buy credit card. Several years later he put me on the account as a signer. (During those years the Best Buy Credit Card was sold to three different banks)

My son attempted to take me off the account as a signer in late 2015 and was advised that this account was now a joint account and I could not be taken off.  We both wrote separate letters to the then owner, Citi Bank and advised them that this joint account status was incorrect and asked for proof based on the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  Citi Bank wrote back and advised them that they had purchased the assets from Capitol One Bank in 2013 and they had no proof that the account was a joint account.  They said they were not able to locate a copy of the credit application because time had passed.

My son became dissabled in 2013 and I am his full time caregiver.  My son stopped paying this and other bills as he is bedridden.

When I went to rent an apartment near the hospital where my son was being given treatment I was shocked when I was told that my credit would not allow rental. This was due to a very late history with Best Buy.  Yes I learned a valuable lesson and should have kept more current with my credit history but screwed up.

I need to keep my credit up in order to pay all the living expense bills for my son and myself.  How do I get my name officially off this account so as not to further hurt my credit and start to repair it?

What can I do to fix this issue which is causing me great distress.  Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: New Here and need some help

Hi and welcome

This post should probably be in the rebuilding forum... I’m sure one of the mods will be along soon to move it! There are LOTS of people that have great advice to help you in there - I’m sure there will be an answer for you

Good luck!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Asked for it to be moved it will be moved shortly hopefully and you will get alot better answers in that section.  

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good luck with this. Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your son. As stated, in the rebuild forum, there are quite the few experts who can give you the right direction to go in. Wish you and your son continued health and better credit soonSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.