Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Medical Collection- Pleas HELP me

tag
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

New Medical Collection- Pleas HELP me

I am in the process of buying a home. Last year my job stopped our benefits. Because of this I was no longer able to afford my daughters entire ortho bill with my companies contribution. Long story short the dentist sent me to collection without any notice. My score dropped 22pts because of this. Interest is being compounded daily and the collection agency says that they can not settle.

The CA emailed me a letter stating that they would remove once paid in full. I need to know if I can get the OC to accept the original amount minus interest will the CA have to delete the collection from my reports?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Medical Collection- Pleas HELP me

You need to check with the OC to see if anything you signed states that in the event of a collection, interest can be added. Otherwise, it is illegal for CA's to just add interest to a collection without a prior agreement by you with the OC. It's worth a shot to contact the OC to get it squared away. If the bill is taken care of with the OC, they should recall it from the CA as the CA would have no authority over the debt. Unless the OC sold the debt and the CA would have control over it at that point. Some people have said the OC can't recall the debt as they no longer own it once it has been sold. If it were me, I'd dispute the collection since there was no notice of delinquency in the first place.

Message 2 of 4
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Thank you I will call this morning. I can't find the original paperwork so I do not know if it mentions interest
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:
Thank you I will call this morning. I can't find the original paperwork so I do not know if it mentions interest

Check your state laws on collection practices. Some states allow collectors to charge interest - usually capped between 4 and 12 percent.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.