cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mom Rebuilding Credit for Future

tag
CakeChell

New Mom Rebuilding Credit for Future

I feel like it's easier to just post links to screenshots rather than typing everything out.

Okay, so I'm a new mom here and I'm trying to rebuild my credit after a rough few years. I had two credit cards charge-off my maxed balances (Walmart & CareCredit). They were sent to collections and I just last month finished paying them off. Woohoo!

I have two student loans (Sub & Unsub) and two medical bills (One for 9k, one for over 200). My Credit Karma score is 563.

What should I do to help fix my score? I heard about pay-for-deletions and good-will-deletions? Will any of that work? The old stuff I paid off is still on my report. 

Should I get a secured card or finish paying things off first?

Collections     Score & Money Owed

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Mom Rebuilding Credit for Future

Congrats! My strongest suggestion: Apply for the Credit One Platinum card on their website. Yes, there is an anual fee...but in the 9 months that I've had the card ($300 initial CL, increased to $400 the 2nd month), my credit score has increased tremendously. They approved me with a score of 511 and charge-offs as well. After having the Credit One card for 3 months, I was approved for a Capital One card (Both are unsecured!). Good luck! 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Mom Rebuilding Credit for Future

Im not an expert but here is I would do if I would you.

Dont worry about your score for now, focus on all the collection and negative account you have.  YES its best to get them paid and deletion off from your files, because those will help increase  your score a lot. Good will letter or PFD is best bet. But if you cant get them delete, keep sending the GW letter, but being paid is still a good thing.

I would apply fo secure card from capital one, I have build my credit file and score with them. ITs a good card to start off with.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.