cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SL servicer - Can I get the old TL's deleted?

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

New SL servicer - Can I get the old TL's deleted?

I have a number of student loans owned by Access Group.  Up until February, Access Group serviced the loans themselves; in February, ACS took over loan servicing, but Access Group still owns the loans.

So now, I have two sets of TLs on my CR.  The first set is from Access Group, and runs from the dates the loans were opened (2006/2007) to February; all of the loans now show a $0 balance, and the TLs are closed.  These TLs all have multiple baddies on them, dating from a prolonged perid of unemployment/underemployment.  The second set of TLs is from "ACS/Access Group."  Even though these only showed up on my CR in February/March, I took a closer look, and they are all backdated to the dates the loans were opened (2006/2007).  The payment history on these is perfect.

So here's my question: would I have any shot at getting the closed Access Group TLs deleted entirely?  The correct age, balance, and ownership of the loans are all being correctly reported in the ACS tradelines, so there's no real need to have the old Access Group TLs on there too.

I already made one unsuccessful GW request to Access Group, asking only to have the lates taken of my record.  But, it seems to me that I might have a better shot at success by requesting the removal of a "duplicate" TL entirely.  What do you think?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: New SL servicer - Can I get the old TL's deleted?

@LionLaw wrote:

I have a number of student loans owned by Access Group.  Up until February, Access Group serviced the loans themselves; in February, ACS took over loan servicing, but Access Group still owns the loans.

So now, I have two sets of TLs on my CR.  The first set is from Access Group, and runs from the dates the loans were opened (2006/2007) to February; all of the loans now show a $0 balance, and the TLs are closed.  These TLs all have multiple baddies on them, dating from a prolonged perid of unemployment/underemployment.  The second set of TLs is from "ACS/Access Group."  Even though these only showed up on my CR in February/March, I took a closer look, and they are all backdated to the dates the loans were opened (2006/2007).  The payment history on these is perfect.

So here's my question: would I have any shot at getting the closed Access Group TLs deleted entirely?  The correct age, balance, and ownership of the loans are all being correctly reported in the ACS tradelines, so there's no real need to have the old Access Group TLs on there too.

I already made one unsuccessful GW request to Access Group, asking only to have the lates taken of my record.  But, it seems to me that I might have a better shot at success by requesting the removal of a "duplicate" TL entirely.  What do you think?

IMO it's certainly worth a shot, at least keep trying.   They are entitled to report the history, but perhaps you can convince them to just delete the TL entirely.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I sure hope so.  Removing 5 TLs, all with multiple serious delinquencies, would give my score a huge boost.

Access Group has been very cooperative so far, so I'm optimistic about my chances.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update to this? Wondering if I should call and try to get the old TLs deleted. 

My AAoA right now is about 5 years (EQ: 4.99 [rounds to 4, D'oh!], EX: 5.1, TU: 5.24). Started in school through Access Group student loans and Dept of Ed. After consolidation I now have 11 accounts reporting on my CR, but only 3 are open/current. The others are closed out with a zero balance. Removing those closed/zero'd accounts would raise my AAoA by about 0.5 years! 

Any downsides to this deletion if I can make it happen?

Message 4 of 5
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

But, it seems to me that I might have a better shot at success by requesting the removal of a "duplicate" TL entirely.  What do you think?

LionLaw -- how did this work out for you?

I have 3 loans w/ ACS that I consolidated and they each have lates reporting from 2011.  I'd love to dispute as a duplicate if it will get them off my reports!

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.