Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York 5 year rule question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New York 5 year rule question

Hi Robert,

I called Experian this morning and they said its 5 years from when it was Charged Off not DOFD. Is this even right? Should i call again and speak to someone else?
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also mentioned since the charge off was closed and doeant show paid that it will fall under the 7 years but not 5 yr because it transferred to the collection agency and paid it with them.

I thought since i paid the collection account that was from a charge off it wouldnt matter. I dont know if Experian gave me right information.

I called back and they was successfully able to remove the collection account which take 24 -72 hours but not the charge off.
Message 12 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just what I was hoping would NOT still be the positon of any CRA.

Yes, I would call back and speak with a supervisor, as that position is, in my opinion, bad interpretation of the law.

As background, here is the issue.

The original FCRA included only the current provision of FCRA 605(a)(4), which defines the period of running of the exclusion period for a charge-off as 7 years from the date the account was “placed for collection or charged to profit and loss.”

That definition created confusion, and resulted in the use of either the date of reporting of a collection or of a charge-off as the effective date for calculating the exclusion period.

That effectively reset the 7 year period whenever any new collection was reported.  That was not the intent of congress.

To deal with the confusion, the FCRA was specifically amended by new section 605(c), which clearly defines the running from what is called the DOFD.

Unfortunately, the NYS statute uses the same old confusing language as the original FCRA, which leads to the old interpretation that permitted use of the date of the charge off as opposed to the DOFD.  The NYS statute includes no reference to use of DOFD.

The other two CRAs interpret the NYS provision as incorporating the provision of FCRA 605(c), and thus use DOFD for consistency in application as compared with the federal 7 year period.

However, the rep you spoke with apparently is clinging to the old-school ambiguity, and continuing to use the date of the charge-off.

Hopefully, that background will be useful when you discuss with them.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they removed the collection account from DOFD but said the charge off would stay on for 7 year from DOFD because it says it was written off and not paid.

If i paid the collection account which was tied to charge off , wasnt they suppose to remove that also?
Message 14 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, that is a blatant inconsistency in their application of the NYS statute, which groups both collections and charge-offs under the same exclusion provision.

That inconsistency alone might serve as fodder for a complaint to the CFPB of improper handling by the CRA.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i called Ex today for another credit card that was charged off. I have paid it in full and requested them to remove it under the NYS 5 year exclusion and they refused because they said the NYS is 5 years for when it was charged-off not the DOFD which is 10/10.

They are driving me crazy and know they are wrong. I dont know what to do at this point. Need help. Should I keep calling until i speak to someone that knows what they are doing.
Message 16 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Send a formal complaint to the Office of the AG for NYS.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to share some SUCCESS!!

After calling EX back to back, I finally spoke to someone who knew what they were doing. According to her she was able to remove my paid CHARGE-OFF based on the DOFD not date of charge off. It was great to hear that she will be removing off my report with 24-72 hours.

My advice to you guys, is to keep calling intill you find somone who knows how to interpret the NYS LAW correctly.
Message 18 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!

In some defense of the CRAs, it is a bit of an esoteric issue, and it is not surprising that first-line reps are not trained in all aspects of various state laws.

Up the chain is often required for this and other legal interpretations.......

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

How accurate is this 5 year rule? I have 3 remaining charge offs from Citi. Their DOFD is around June 2012. Just to be clear, that means around June 2017, I can apply for removal using the NY 5 Year Rule. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.