Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account in collections!

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

New account in collections!

So after trying to prevent any old debts from going into collections and reporting negatively on my report. I received an alert today a new collections account from paramount a reporting agency for a hospital bill from 2017. My score dived 22 points after I had just started regaining a few weeks ago. 😢 This has got to be the worst news this month. I was down to one collections now I have plus 1.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New account in collections!

Medicals are the easiest to get rid of.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is there still the possibility of the debt being paid via insurance?

If so, the collection will then be removed under the new CRA policy set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Message 3 of 5
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I don't recall even going to the emergency room on the date stated. I didn't have insurance if it is correct.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you said you dont remember going to the hospital on that date.. i would ask them to verify the debt before going further. Make sure it is you and not someone that gave them your info or a mis billing error. Then If they can verify it with a bill (obviously they would of sent you a bill or given you a bill if you were there) I would then see if they would remove it for payment. HOWEVER that bill may just be the COLLECTION company showing up... the bill maybe from years prior. SO that being said. Depending on when the bill was from depends on how to proceed. it may be past the statue of limitations in your state, and they may be reporting when they were HIRED to collect.. if thats the case i would dispute it under false open date When they update it from 2017 to lets say 2008 It lessens the blow to your credit. Information has to be 100 percent accurate when reporting or it has to be removed.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.