Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Confused- To Call OC or Not???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New and Confused- To Call OC or Not???

Hey y'all. I've been reading in the myFICO forums for a few days, and I just can't seem to find the right course of action. 

Backstory: had a bad year financially in 2012, and have been working on paying off my car, a delinquent credit card, and lowering student loan payments to a doable level and having them autodrafted for perfect timliness since early 2013. Car and credit card are paid off, student loans have been on time for almost 2 years, now I only have $365 in collections- all medical. My score is 523 according to Credit Karma. 

Now, with medical collections y'all have me confused.

1. I've read that you can call to ask the OC if they'll recall the collection for full payment. But if they don't, then you've acknowledged that it's your debt and you're suck with it, right? Is this mostly an option for recent collections or will it work for older ones (2-3 years) as well?

2. Most of my debt is with medicredit, whom I've read will do a PFD over the phone, but not reply to certified mail. Or can you email them?

3. Do you write the PFD letters to the PO box address listed on the credit report?

Sorry so lost.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New and Confused- To Call OC or Not???

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey y'all. I've been reading in the myFICO forums for a few days, and I just can't seem to find the right course of action. 

Backstory: had a bad year financially in 2012, and have been working on paying off my car, a delinquent credit card, and lowering student loan payments to a doable level and having them autodrafted for perfect timliness since early 2013. Car and credit card are paid off, student loans have been on time for almost 2 years, now I only have $365 in collections- all medical. My score is 523 according to Credit Karma. 

Now, with medical collections y'all have me confused.

1. I've read that you can call to ask the OC if they'll recall the collection for full payment. But if they don't, then you've acknowledged that it's your debt and you're suck with it, right? Is this mostly an option for recent collections or will it work for older ones (2-3 years) as well? you dont claim ownership of  the debt with any PFD offer sent.

2. Most of my debt is with medicredit, whom I've read will do a PFD over the phone, but not reply to certified mail. Or can you email them?

3. Do you write the PFD letters to the PO box address listed on the credit report?

Sorry so lost.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

If you have a willing CA then just get them to commit to PFD by phone, you can record the conversation they will be. PFD letters mailed in should go to upper management preferrably the office of the CEO. Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: New and Confused- To Call OC or Not???

If you are seeking deletion of the collection, why not take the direct approach of sending a PFD to the debt collector, who is the only party who can agree to deletion of their own reporting?

Why take the around the barn approach of asking the OC to first terminate their collection authority, and then pay the OC?

The OC presumably hired the debt collector for a legit reason.

As for a mailing address, I would first look for the address they provided in their dunning notice.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.