Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and Rebuilding!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New and Rebuilding!

Hello all!

I am just starting my credit repair journey! I have a couple of derogs (5, 4 medical, one hsbc), just opened an account with Fingerhut (fresh Start) and got myself a secured Capital One Card. I'm starting the PFD process very soon as soon as I can start hurling money and effort at this debt.

Basically, my goal at this point is right around 650ish by this time next year and house shopping. I'm trying so hard to get us out of the hovel of a house we're renting (rented it specifically because it was cheap and it freed up money to pay down debt and repair my credit..except that was five years ago! UGH.) so I decided to bite the bullet and get started by asking my dad and aunt add me as an AU on both of their Discover cards, which was amazing of them and now I have an AAoA of 15.7 years.

Does anyone have any advice from what you can give of other things that I can do to jumpstart? I've been a cash and carry girl for years, so credit scares the poo out of me, but I refuse to get sucked into the debt hole! I'm going to play smart and hard and keep my eye on the prize: Our Dream House!

Any Advice given from those going through or having gone through this process would be super appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: New and Rebuilding!

Everything looks good for now. You starting the right way.
Well, you need to negotiate deletion for payments. Collections are going to hold your scores down.
Do not pay off Fingerhut in a month or two. Pay it off in like 3-4 months and they will give you revolving line of credit.
Keep uti under 10% on you secured card.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.