cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and need some help with a few credit issues.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New and need some help with a few credit issues.

Alright guys let me introduce myself first. My name is Frank and I am a combat veteran currently serving in the Marines. I will be getting out the end of the year and I am looking at purchasing my second home. I have a few credit issues that happened in the past (2007-2008) that I am trying to clear up. I have never intentionally paid any of my bills late or have intentionally skipped a payment. When I deployed to Iraq for the first time my units pay dispersment was screwed up for about 3-4 months. We didnt have phones, internet, etc... Basically what happened was all my accounts that I had open at the time and on auto payment became delinquent. I tried for months to get a letter from the Marine that I could send to the creditors to plead my case but have been unsuccessful. Right now I have 5 accounts that have issues.
Capitol One Credit Card:     Shows a 30 and 60 date late.
FIA CSNA Credit Card:     Shows 3 120 lates and 6 months of no data
GECRB/ Paypal Smart Charge Account:     Shows two 30s two 60s 3 120s and a KD
HSBC/Yamaha:     Shows two KDs
GTE Federal Credit Union Auto Loan: Shows two 30 day lates.

I have already called all of them and the only one I made progress with is the last one. I sent in verification of my deployment and the lady brought it to the supervisor and she said that they would take the lates off my account due to the circumstancial evidence. I have an email claiming that also. Not going to believe anything until it happenes though.
I was wondering what you guys think I should do and were to start. I have already tried the online dispute process and it has done nothing. After that I started researching on my own I have found that to not be a sucessful method. I have sample goodwill letters available to me as well as requests for verification of account details. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I know some of these accounts are pretty generic creditors and you guys probably already know what worked for you and what didn't. Thank you for all your help.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New and need some help with a few credit issues.

BTW all the accounts have been paid and nothing is open, outstanding, or owned. The only one that was settled was the HSBC/Yamaha due to owning them almost double after all the late fees and charges.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I cant point you to specific regulations, but I recall some provisions relating to deployed military and the reporting of delinquencies.

Maybe someone with experience in that process will chime in.....

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would appreciate any help.
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Alright guys let me introduce myself first. My name is Frank and I am a combat veteran currently serving in the Marines. I will be getting out the end of the year and I am looking at purchasing my second home. I have a few credit issues that happened in the past (2007-2008) that I am trying to clear up. I have never intentionally paid any of my bills late or have intentionally skipped a payment. When I deployed to Iraq for the first time my units pay dispersment was screwed up for about 3-4 months. We didnt have phones, internet, etc... Basically what happened was all my accounts that I had open at the time and on auto payment became delinquent. I tried for months to get a letter from the Marine that I could send to the creditors to plead my case but have been unsuccessful. Right now I have 5 accounts that have issues.
Capitol One Credit Card:     Shows a 30 and 60 date late.
FIA CSNA Credit Card:     Shows 3 120 lates and 6 months of no data
GECRB/ Paypal Smart Charge Account:     Shows two 30s two 60s 3 120s and a KD
HSBC/Yamaha:     Shows two KDs
GTE Federal Credit Union Auto Loan: Shows two 30 day lates.

I have already called all of them and the only one I made progress with is the last one. I sent in verification of my deployment and the lady brought it to the supervisor and she said that they would take the lates off my account due to the circumstancial evidence. I have an email claiming that also. Not going to believe anything until it happenes though.
I was wondering what you guys think I should do and were to start. I have already tried the online dispute process and it has done nothing. After that I started researching on my own I have found that to not be a sucessful method. I have sample goodwill letters available to me as well as requests for verification of account details. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I know some of these accounts are pretty generic creditors and you guys probably already know what worked for you and what didn't. Thank you for all your help.

Thank you for your service to our country! It sucks you got hit like this for something that is not your fault. Lets for a second assume you will not be able to get extra support because of your vet status, and lets assume you are just a civilian.

DV's or debt validation letters are meant for collection accounts. OC's do not have to respond to those requests.

Disputing throught the CRAs will not work either, because the information you are attempting to dispute is valid. Although you have a valid beef in my opinion, the CRA disputes are simply computer transmissions back and forth to the OC through a system called eOscar.

Really, I think you are a perfect GW possibility. You have a good reason for the requests, and you will get sympathy. These requests are often easier to make if you make them personal, not using an already created exmaple. Research this forum to see if anyone has any contacts in the companies you are looking to good will. I would handle every accounts like the one you mentoned working with you. Iwould send out letters asking for the removal, the reason for the removal, and a copy (with any sensitive information blacked out) of your verification of deployment. This shows them you aren't BSing, that you are being 100 perecnt honest with them.

The first accounts you need to work on are the ones showing 120 day late payments. Those are the most damaging. The 30 day lates right now arent really doing alot to your score at this stage.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply Scott. I will start with those and start scanning around on this board for some information on the people to contact at the OC offices.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.