Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and need to build credit

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: New and need to build credit

@steveo88 wrote:

i just got the EQ and TU through fico. EQ is 562 and TU is 563. And is that why my score isnt really changing is because they are not reporting?? I dont really understand how credit works, ive done the research and read several sites but I just dont understand it. I have only had my credit card and auto loan almost 3 months now.

Having a good "mix" ( Mortgage, Credit Cards, Auto or Personal Loans ) is just one factor of having a good credit score. So, YES it is important for everything to report.
Payment history is a huge part of your credit score, so as time goes by that you make your payments on time your score will rise.
Utilization of credit cards is another biggie... 
If you have more than one credit card, only carry a balance on 1 of them and let the other card report at Zero balance.
The card you carry a balance on only allow it to report with a 1% - 9% balance. ( This is for best scoring )
If you are planning to buy a house within the next year, do not apply for anything that will result in a HP (hard pull) of your credit report.

*8/10/13
Message 11 of 19
steveo88

oh ok so if i pay the balance off and keep the card my score can go up?

Message 12 of 19
steveo88

ok so if I get another $300 limit credit card how much is 1-9%?

Message 13 of 19
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Yes, keep the fingerhut card open. But carry a small balance on either the FH card or the Secured card (once it reports or if it reports). Call whoever you got the card with and ask them about the reporting.

If the secured card is not going to report then do not pay off the FH card yet...You need a small balance reporting and showing payments.

*8/10/13
Message 14 of 19
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@steveo88 wrote:

ok so if I get another $300 limit credit card how much is 1-9%?

9% of $300= $27

*8/10/13
Message 15 of 19
steveo88

thank you so much you have been more than helpful Smiley Very Happy...One more thing, is it unrealistic to try and raise my score from 562 to 640 in 6 months to a year?

Message 16 of 19
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@steveo88 wrote:

thank you so much you have been more than helpful Smiley Very Happy...One more thing, is it unrealistic to try and raise my score from 562 to 640 in 6 months to a year?

You are welcome....!!

Unrealistic?? Everyones credit is different..I have seen stranger things happen. It all depends on how you play the game. There are tricks and tips and solid advice. I would suggest you read here A LOT. Ask questions A LOT.

Most of all, get your card and auto loan to report on all 3 bureaus, that is going to help you.

*8/10/13
Message 17 of 19
steveo88

ok thank you so much Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 19
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

do you have any late payments or collections?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.