Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New collection

I just pulled my credit report and found a new collection from William W. Siegel & Associates for an old T mobile account and it dropped my score another 20 points. will paying it off quickly help my score or should I call T mobile and try to get them to recall it and pay them?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New collection

I understand that paying old collections does not help your score, but will it hurt it?

Message 2 of 5
eparker
Frequent Contributor

see if you can do a PFD with that company.  make sure you get it in writing that they will delete after receiving the payment.

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Whooa!!! Back up a bit!

You just pulled your CR and found a new CA reporting?  How new, how old, was their post?

When diid they report their collection to the CRA?

Did they ever provide you written collection (dunning) notice?  That was required, under FDCPA 809(a), to have been sent to you within 5-days of posting to your CR.

A CA  cannot submarine your credit report by reporting a collection to the CRA, without notice to you within 5-days of such reporting.  It is not your obligation to order credit reports in order to monitor and detect collection activities.  It is the debt collector's legal obligation to provide you written dunning notice within 5-days of any such credit reporting.

I would immediitely send them a DV request under FDCPA 809(b), subtlely reminding them in commentary in your letter that you consder them to be in violation of FDCPA 809(a).

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been checking my CR once a month, so it is newer than a month. No letters or phone calls.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.