Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collection

tag
Dani62384
Valued Member

New collection

Okay, so I was 2 months late on my cable bill and they have already sent me to a CA.  I called the cable company today and they said that I could pay them still.  So my question is this: If I go in there personally to pay this, how do I get them to get the CA off my report?  I just got this today, so it might not even be on there yet, but if I pay the OC, I don't want the CA (which they have only had the acct for 15 days) to keep reporting.  So if I pay in person, do I have them give me something in writing?  How would you handle this.  I have had all positive things on my report in the last 3 1/2 yrs and am on the road to recovery, I just really need this to go away.

Starting Score: 574 (3/29/11)
Current Score: EQ-603 (3/22/12) TU- 540 (4/24/12)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: New collection

In my experience, collection agencies give you 30 days to pay something before they start reporting.  So hopefully you can get this taken care of before they do report.  If I were you, I would call the cable company again and ask them if the account will come back to their hands so you can pay them directly.  I would then get a letter in writing from them that the account is now paid in full.  I definitely wouldn't pay without a letter from them that the account is not in collections.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: New collection

The same thing happened with my DS, with Charter Grrrr.

I would suggest going there in person and get a receipt marked PIF or Final bill paid.

I went to Charter and spoke directly with the lady that handled collections, not the csr at the front counter.

She wouldn't give me a letter saying the debt was called back from the CA.So I ask for a receipt marked Final bill paid and she kindly gave me one.

Do ask questions, Ask if the debt is still with the cable co and only assigned with the CA.Make sure if you pay the cable co they will not turn the money over to the CA.

I would've like to had a letter, but I had no choice but to pay and trust this lady.

If I didn't pay it then, it would've definitely when to the CA and probably be on his CR also.

Hope our experience helps you with your situationSmiley Wink Good Luck to You.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.