cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New collections popped up, how to respond??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New collections popped up, how to respond??

1- I have recently obtained a copy of my credit reports and found that an old account owed to Career Education Services was showing twice:

I settled with the original CA that had the account long ago and the balance shows as "0", however, ATG popped out of nowhere reporting the same account showing a balance!! this was reported on 09/2014 for $1261 (this seems to equate to the settlement amount made or the remainder of the settled balance) The original creditor was satisfied with the settlement (Career Education) which was made with First Source Advantage so I have no clue how ATG reports this?? Should I DV? I have sent a dispute to Experian only by mail 2 weeks ago, should I contact Career Education? or proceed with disputing EQ also? this isnt listed on TU

2- I had a collection by Enhanced Recovery for ATT which has been there for a while, it was deleted in 12/2014 (not sure if that was the 7 year mark or not. Then suddnely a week ago I got a letter from AFNI, INC entitled "Settlement Offer" and it is claiming that I owe ATT $726 but that they're willing to settle for $363 - a week after receiving the letter myFico sent me an alert that AFNI now appears as a new collection on my equifax it has the amount and the date listed as 04/2012. should I DV this? I may have owed ATT a small balance but it definitly was not 727 - also I want to do whatever is needed to have this completely withdrawn from my report and not simply showing as paid or settled. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New collections popped up, how to respond??

@Anonymous wrote:

1- I have recently obtained a copy of my credit reports and found that an old account owed to Career Education Services was showing twice:

I settled with the original CA that had the account long ago and the balance shows as "0", however, ATG popped out of nowhere reporting the same account showing a balance!! this was reported on 09/2014 for $1261 (this seems to equate to the settlement amount made or the remainder of the settled balance) The original creditor was satisfied with the settlement (Career Education) which was made with First Source Advantage so I have no clue how ATG reports this?? Should I DV? I have sent a dispute to Experian only by mail 2 weeks ago, should I contact Career Education? or proceed with disputing EQ also? this isnt listed on TU I would send a copy of the settlement to the new CA along with an ITS (intent to sue) letter demanding its immediate closure and removal from your CRs. If they refuse then escalate complaint to the CFPB   http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

2- I had a collection by Enhanced Recovery for ATT which has been there for a while, it was deleted in 12/2014 (not sure if that was the 7 year mark or not. Then suddnely a week ago I got a letter from AFNI, INC entitled "Settlement Offer" and it is claiming that I owe ATT $726 but that they're willing to settle for $363 - a week after receiving the letter myFico sent me an alert that AFNI now appears as a new collection on my equifax it has the amount and the date listed as 04/2012. should I DV this? I may have owed ATT a small balance but it definitly was not 727 - also I want to do whatever is needed to have this completely withdrawn from my report and not simply showing as paid or settled. I would be ascertaining if it can even be reported at all, the max time is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD. I suspect ATT canceled the collection with ER resulting in their TL deletion and they fwd to AFNI.You can send the DV and it would be timely but If you know its yours I will say you might want to make an offer of settlement without a DV as they could take it as an adversarial stance and kill any chances of goodwill deletion. Good luck in getting these resolved Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.